Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
My 79-year-old mother is pretty handy with her iMac but isn't too clear on all the controls on most digital cameras. Also, she has early-onset Parkinson's which makes it somewhat difficult to manipulate very small buttons. :confused: Has anyone found a decent digital camera for a senior citizens in their lives?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Iphone 6 or 6+. Easy to use, useful for other tasks, and easily integrates into her iMac via iPhoto. That should give her all the still photos and video capability she will need now and she gets older.

Side note: look into putting her info (medical conditions, medications, doctos..etc) in the iPhone Healthkit app.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
aaronvan said:
My 79-year-old mother is pretty handy with her iMac but isn't too clear on all the controls on most digital cameras. Also, she has early-onset Parkinson's which makes it somewhat difficult to manipulate very small buttons. Has anyone found a decent digital camera for a senior citizens in their lives?

How about something like the Nikon S32? It's a simple basic camera without a whole lot of features. There's relatively few large buttons, and it's got a 3x optical zoom.

The main selling point is it's waterproof and shockproof, so if she drops it even into a puddle it will be fine and it can be cleaned in a sink of water. The MSRP is $130 and it's considered a very entry level camera.

Iphone 6 or 6+. Easy to use, useful for other tasks, and easily integrates into her iMac via iPhoto. That should give her all the still photos and video capability she will need now and she gets older.

Side note: look into putting her info (medical conditions, medications, doctos..etc) in the iPhone Healthkit app.

Wow. So a 79 year who wants a simple basic camera and has a progressive neurological conditional that robs them of dexterity, you recommend a device filled with unwanted features that will have to be navigated past with tiny software buttons. Any camera control will also be tiny software buttons too. I feel bad just picturing the lady trying to figure out why her camera's shooting video instead of stills and trying to fix it.

And why in the world would you recommend their latest most expensive phone full of new features the person will neither want or need. Used iPhone 4s's go for a song relatively speaking. If you're talking about the screen size, why not recommend an iPad mini with an even bigger screen at 1/3rd the price of a 6+? It can run iOS 8 too, you know.

The Koolaid addicts can be pretty bad here sometimes. An iPhone is *not* the answer to everyone in ever usage case and the OP's request is a great example of where iOS touch screens are not good. Touch screens are cheap to make, but tactile buttons are usually better.

And how do you think it's smart to twist the guy's request for an easy simple camera into set her up in healthkit? Hey, the guy wants a camera for his 79 year old mother. I recommend he get her a membership in AARP. Not sure how that helps with the camera situation but it's no less relevant than your advice and probably more useful to her than healthkit.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
My 79-year-old mother is pretty handy with her iMac but isn't too clear on all the controls on most digital cameras. Also, she has early-onset Parkinson's which makes it somewhat difficult to manipulate very small buttons. :confused: Has anyone found a decent digital camera for a senior citizens in their lives?

My emphasis..

Please read all the details before recommending the AARP. They are primarily an insurance company.

I'm 67 in a month or so had eye surgery to fix my crappy vision and I have a neurological condition, too, but I can handle my 7D just fine. I suggest taking her down to a camera shop and letting her handle cameras to see which one feels right to her. This is the advice I would give to anyone looking at a camera.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.