Digital Copies Transfer to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tsivah, Feb 28, 2012.

1. tsivah macrumors newbie

I am planning on getting a new iPad but have been wondering about whether people are able to transfer the digital copies that you download from the DVD/Blu-Ray you buy to the iPad without having to convert through some application. I have read online that some people can just sync and some people have to convert and I was wondering if there is a good program out there that can convert and still keep the picture quality of the original download. HELP!!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Right now, I think there are only three kinds of "Digital Copies" that come with DVDs/BRs. There's the iTunes Digital Copy, Windows Media Digital Copy, and Ultraviolet Digital Copy.

In my experience, when you get the iTunes ones, you can either choose iTunes or Windows Media, but not both. I always go with iTunes.

Now, once you've activated your code, you can copy that file over to another Mac/PC that is activated on the same AppleID. If you want to transfer the file to an iPad, just make sure you copy the file to the iTunes library that the iPad is associated with. When you sync, it'll transfer to the iPad.

There's no converting involved. Not sure if you'd need to convert if you chose Windows Media or if it was an Ultraviolet Digital Copy.

3. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

DRM would prevent anything being converted. Don't know of any app for playing DRM'd WMV movies on iOS. Sure there's an app for streaming Ultraviolet movies, though ( don't think it allows off-line viewing... ).

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

No, I know this. I was replying to the OP who mentioned that some people sync and some people have to convert. I've never had to deal with converting ... never needed to. I was only surmising why someone might need to convert.

I understand that the point of DRM is to prevent converting and such, but there are apps out there that can un-DRM files, then I suppose you could take the resultant file and convert it to something the iPad can play.

Again, I'm not sure what the OP was specifically talking about. I think he may be somewhat confused.

5. tsivah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks- that all helps. I just heard that some people's digital copies didn't transfer to their portable devices, iPad, and they were only redeemed on their computer and wouldn't copy over to their iPad.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm guessing that if this was the case, then those people didn't get the iTunes Digital Copy. They probably got the Ultraviolet or WindowsMedia Digital Copy.

As long as the digital copy is in iTunes, syncing the iPad to iTunes will transfer the movie ... provided the sync settings are correct.

When you're buying the DVD/BD, just make sure it comes with the iTunes Digital Copy.

NOTE - most (if not all) current WarnerBros. combo packs come with Ultraviolet Digital Copy. I've read that some folks have been able to contact Ultraviolet to get a code for the iTunes Digital Copy in lieu of the Ultraviolet version.