Digital Crown black insert wear and tear

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ajm222, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

So I have a space black series 2 on its way and I know I won't really need to worry too much about scuffing it up. But can anyone tell me what kind of wear and tear the black insert on the digital crown gets over time? I actually don't have any idea what it's made out of or covered with. Just assumed it was plastic. Maybe glass. Any thoughts? I actually have a little circle in the armorsuit kit that I can cover it with if I want to keep it pristine. But wasn't sure if that was even necessary.

2. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

I am using it without case now for two weeks and it holds out fine. The digital crown is made from the same aluminium as the watch case itself. I am being careful with it, but until now no scratchen.

3. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

I can't comment on what it's made of, but over a year with my stainless S0 and my crown has zero wear - and I've worn it almost every single day.

Also worth noting, the ceramic back plate is still clean as well.

4. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, good to know. I'm mostly wondering what the insert on the stainless models is made out of. Can't seem to find anything about that.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    Awesome. I would expect the ceramic to wear very well (though I think someone posted something about scuffs due to debris they didn't wipe of their charger - but maybe that was one made of plastic). I also read something suggesting maybe they used liquid metal for the crown, which would be extremely tough if true. But I know the cap on the crown is likely made of something other than metal, at least on the silver stainless model. Haven't yet gotten my space black, so I don't know what it even looks like on that model. But pics suggest the same cap as on the regular stainless.

5. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

No scratches on SS crown after a year. Not taking any special precautions.

6. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

The composite backs on the sport models scratched easily - even from a little dust on the charger. That was the main reason I bumped up to a stainless model. The crown cap may be ceramic as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting. didn't consider that it might be ceramic. that would be smart, and also very likely.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2017 ---
    Found this, supposedly from their more recent digital crown patent according to patentlyapple.com (patent heading reads "COMPRESSIBLE SEAL FOR ROTATABLE AND TRANSLATABLE INPUT MECHANISMS":

"FIG. 3 is a partial cross-section view of the electronic device 102 taken along line A-A in FIG. 1. As illustrated, the input mechanism assembly 110 may include a cap 303 (such as zirconia, sapphire, and so on) fitted into an aperture of a manipulation structure 148 (such as a knob that may be made of aluminum, gold, or other material with a variety of surface finishes such as matte, polished, and so on). The cap 303 may be fitted into the manipulation structure 148 via an adhesive mechanism 278 such as heat activated film, pressure sensitive adhesive, and so on."

Note the mention of zirconia and sapphire, suggesting that even though here it isn't specified, they clearly had in mind something wear-resistant.

8. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

Interesting - and great find. With that mention, I'd guess that it's either a sapphire or ceramic cap, as it would more than likely be one of the two, rather than an additional material.

9. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, that's kind of what i was thinking as well. saw a picture online of an internal apple repair document that shows a picture of a watch with a broken cap and with it removed. there's a clean single-line curved crack on the cap. might be a clue as to which material it is. probably more likely ceramic.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I believe the whole digital crown is comprised of stainless steel and then obviously it has the diamond like carbon applied as well. I have zero scratches on my black stainless model on the digital crown after inspecting it.

11. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Do you have any guess as to what the black cap insert is made of? Is the insert on the space black model also the same as on the regular stainless model? Hard to tell from most online pics.

12. Relentless Power, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't know what the cap is made of. It's likely the same material as the regular stainless model, only DLC coated on the black stainless.

With a question like that, contact Apple and ask for it to be passed on to an engineer. You might have an answer from a Senior Advisor if they find out for you.