Digital Crown - Feature or bug?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Vermifuge, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Tried to search, but I didn't come up with anything. I'm sure someone has noticed but I can't think of how they would have described it.

I noticed quite by accident that my AW S3SS + LTE will show a ghostly face of the watch if I nudge the digital drown. I normally use the 'Simple' face showing only the two hands in white. I have subsequently tried a few other watch faces and it seems to slowly fade the face in as you turn the digital crown.

I'm coming from an G1 AW S0SS and I can confirm this is not possible on that model. I can't see why it wouldn't / couldn't be possible to have added this via a WatchOS update. I don't think the screen tech is that much different between the two.

So I'm assuming this is a feature. Too polished to be a bug. Does any one know what generation this was introduced in?

2. DanieleV78 macrumors newbie

3. Vermifuge thread starter macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Sure. Here are two photos. First, let me first apologies for my Italian heritage. I currently have my Apple Watch S3SS + LTE brightness set in the middle. The 1st photo (left) shows the watch while it is actively showing the time. The 2nd photo (right) shows the watch after I have nudged the digital crown. The Watch display should be 'off' before nudging the crown. I could see this being of use where a bight light might be distracting, like a theater.

IMG_6629.jpg IMG_7158.jpg

4. DanieleV78 macrumors newbie

So, when you press the Digital Crown , appears a ghost effect on the screen ?

5. Vermifuge thread starter macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Not press, just rotate ever so slightly. A slide nudge should be enough. As i stated in my first port this doesn't happen in my S0SS and i don't have a S1/S2 to compare it to.

6. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

you simply just control the brightness of the screen by turning the crown.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Turning the Digital Crown will dim the display, this was also available on the Series 2.

8. chabig, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

chabig macrumors 601

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205552

Peek at your Apple Watch screen
    With Apple Watch Series 2 or later, you can gradually wake your screen to keep its brightness low. For example, you might want to glance at the screen in a movie theater.

Turn the Digital Crown slowly to gradually wake the screen, then turn it the other way to put the screen back to sleep.

10. Vermifuge thread starter macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Ah, very cool. Too bad it doesn't work with the g1 S0. I'm using that as my sleep tracker.

11. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Before I got my S2, when I was wearing my S0 overnight, I used a plain Modular face in red with just the time and one alarm complication.

I forget if watchOS 4 came out before or after I switched, though. Does watchOS4 have "theater mode" on the S0? That's what I use now, and I also switched to the Utility face because it's easier for me to read the analog time.

12. Vermifuge thread starter macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Yes on the S0 i'm using the modular face with only the time in a dark blue color. On top of that I enable the theater mode before I get into bed. It works well enough but it would have been nice to have this gradual wake feature. oh well i'm sure i'll get a Series XX whoever it has a global roaming eSIM.