Digital Guitar Amp And Effects

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SnowTronic, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SnowTronic macrumors member

This is a repost of a question I posted earlier, Im not sure if there has been a miscommunication but I am trying to figure out two things about the digital guitar amps and effects that you can use in garageband such as the ones in the picture I attached...

I would like to know...

1. How is a computer able to produce the sounds that these amps and effects make?

2. How does software companies such as apple and say line 6 able to produce guitar amps and effects digitally and still making them sound like their real life counter parts such as an marshall amp, vox amp or a boss delay pedal? In a more simple format basically how are guitar amps and guitar effects that are real made into digital software amps and effects such as the one pictured below?

Attached Files:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

This would be easier to answer if we knew your level of technical education in mathnatics, computer science and signal processing. For example if I wrote "I think it is basically a time domain convolution filter" Does that explain it to you? Or do you want to hear something like "They use mathematical simulations of what goes on inside an real amplifier".

Basically once the guitar signal gets inside the computer it is just a string of numbers. then you might as an example apply something like this to those numbers and send the result to the speaker
    http://g.co/maps/7mjxkhttp://g.co/maps/7mjxk

There are other techniques. One is to do the above several times, once for each stage of the amp and then again for the speakers and cab.

Reverb is simulated by keeping the signal in storage and then mixing some of it back in later. You'd likely also use a filter in the delayed sound too.

3. SnowTronic thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for being so late in my response ChrisA, I have been super busy. Anyways, I have a pretty good grasp at mathematics, and computers so whatever response you would like to give is up to you, If I don't understand I will gladly research on my own or just keep asking questions!!! :) lol Its sounds like your pretty good at understanding this stuff, so can't wait to see what your response will be!!! ;);)