Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henry2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I have a brunch of DVD movies and tv shows on DVD and I was winding how much of them will play if I put them onto a ileef USB-lighting storage unit .i have the ileef app on my iPad and iPhone and it great for my photos that I have
I have about 10-520-DVD wallets full and I was want to do size the whole lot onto the USB-lighting stick .so do I need to load them up to iTunes first then to the stick to get them to play on the iPad or can I saight transfer the movies saight the stick .im using a iMac desktop to do the transfer of the media to the stick unit

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have about 10-520-DVD wallets full and I was want to do size the whole lot onto the USB-lighting stick .so do I need to load them up to iTunes first then to the stick to get them to play on the iPad or can I saight transfer the movies saight the stick .im using a iMac desktop to do the transfer of the media to the stick unit

You won't have to use iTunes, but you will have to rip them. You can't just "transfer a DVD to a flash drive". The DVD comes with copyright protection. You can get it ripped with Handbrake and a library for DVD de-scrambling.
Just put em on the flash drive and it should be good.
Though they may take up way more space than the flash drive gives you to work with...

PS. I may have misunderstood some of what you meant, as spelling and punctuation error made it a bit hard to understand at times

Reactions: henry2

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hard to decipher your meaning here, but I guess you want to try to transfer some DVD movies to a USB storage, with the hope of playing those videos on your iPad.
casperes1996 has the right idea about how to do that transfer, if you want to hope that the transferred movies will actually play.
Handbrake is a good tool for that.
Why not just try a couple as a test - to see if you can make that work?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
casperes1996 has the right idea about how to do that transfer, if you want to hope that the transferred movies will actually play.

I'd say the only thing that's up in the air, regarding whether or not they'll play, is app support. It may be necessary to import the files into another app's sandbox to play them (assuming the app for the flash drive has the option for it), or transcoding the files a few times to find a file format the app likes.

henry2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I'm doing that some have played and some have not .some of the movies I have the digital copy of them
[doublepost=1497826812][/doublepost]I'm using the leer MobileMemory setup

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm doing that some have played and some have not .some of the movies I have the digital copy of them
[doublepost=1497826812][/doublepost]I'm using the leer MobileMemory setup
I guess you mean "Leef", as that's what comes up when I search for MobileMemory.
(Typing brand names doesn't always play nicely with Autocorrection turned on. I'm guessing that's why you struggled in your first post. You may want to think about turning Autocorrection off :D )

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I guess you mean "Leef", as that's what comes up when I search for MobileMemory.
(Typing brand names doesn't always play nicely with Autocorrection turned on. I'm guessing that's why you struggled in your first post. You may want to think about turning Autocorrection off :D )

Better strategy - Starting a word with a capital letter means auto-correct will (in most cases) leave that one word alone. And brand names generally do start with a capital letter anyway.
[doublepost=1497827558][/doublepost]
I've found when ripping dvds the .mp4 format works nicely on my iPhone, iPad and iMac.

Most file formats work natively with all systems, and m4v and mov should be good candidates too. However that's with native playback APIs. Since I don't know this specific flash drive product, I can't say if it uses the native playback system for video files, and if not, it may not be compatible with the same formats as iOS is in general

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Better strategy - Starting a word with a capital letter means auto-correct will (in most cases) leave that one word alone. And brand names generally do start with a capital letter anyway.
[doublepost=1497827558][/doublepost]

Most file formats work natively with all systems, and m4v and mov should be good candidates too. However that's with native playback APIs. Since I don't know this specific flash drive product, I can't say if it uses the native playback system for video files, and if not, it may not be compatible with the same formats as iOS is in general

In my user case, I've had issues with .m4v playback, so I covert all to .mp4.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
A great program for ripping any DVD and converting it for watching on iPhone or iPad is MDRP, or can be used to archive and copy DVDs. It has a 5 instance free trial. Highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.