Digital-out Delay?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sputnikv, Jul 15, 2011.

1. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

Hello,

I'm curious about optical digital-out and the delay associated with periods of no audio. I have a Mac Pro and have it optically connected to a sound bar. If no sound is transmitted for a few seconds, the moment a sound is transmitted, the first second or so of the sound/song or whatever is completely cut out.

If I play something in the background very low, just enough to transmit audio data, this delay doesn't occur. This also doesn't happen on bootcamp leading me to submit this here.

Seems like this is something inherent in the way optical digital transfer works, though is there a way to have osx transmit "silence" in that data is continuous and uninterrupted when something does need to play? If I'm connected optically, i barely catch the end of system sounds if at all. (Finder sounds are set to output digital out in my MIDI setup)

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated,

sputnikv

2. windowsdan macrumors newbie

Any help with this would be much appreciated as I have the same issue using my Mac Mini with an Optical Digital Out.

My Optical cable leads to a Sony HDMI AV Amp where the Mac is connected via a Display port to HDMI converter cable and the audio is sent via the Optical Digital out using the line-out/headphones port.

:confused:

3. GrahamGFX macrumors newbie

Digital-out Delay or decode delay?

Hi there,

This is an old thread now but I have the same problem and was beginning to think that it was the decoding device (in my case a Panasonic SA-BT100 home cinema amp) that had a delay outputting audio until the OP said that he didn't have the issue with Boot Camp.

I'm using the optical digital output from my MacPro direct into the optical in of the BT100. OSX 10.8.4

Anyone shed any light on this now...?

Thanks.

Graham