Digital pianos with a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zarusoba, Mar 22, 2008.

1. zarusoba macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a cheaper digital piano which I'll connect to a Mac and possibly a Win machine as well.

The reputable brands, like Yamaha and Casio, are obviously a bit more expensive. I've seen some cheaper ones, Adagio and Melodic. Are these cheaper brands OK?

I'm not professional, just looking for something to practice and enjoy playing music on.

Cheers.

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I use a basic M-AUDIO Keystation 49e.

Pitch modulation and Volume work well with Garageband and is bus powered over USB. Works well for basic stuff, playing and recording songs.

For general playing I also use it with EasyBeat (No need to load up Garageband and create a new song etc.) except that I can't get the modulation to work.

It also works in Windows.

EDIT: also note that if you buy a normal keyboard, and pass the audio into the Mac via a simple line-in audio cable (ie not MIDI), you won't be able to change the instruments on the Mac. Buying a MIDI keyboard with USB (like mine) enables you to change the instruments on the Mac, and even change the recorded notes. :)

3. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Brands

Thanks for the info, TheReef. Thing is, I'd like to use it like a regular piano as well as connecting to the Mac, so I'm wondering if you have any opinions on the budget brands I mentioned.

Cheers

4. Bow Rekk macrumors member

When you say piano does that imply you want something to have weighted keys and attempt to feel like a piano?

Go to the shop and try them all out. If you like a cheaper one, go for it.

If you are going to play it through the piano samples on your mac then consider a midi controller like the m-audio keystation 88 (i think) which is basically just a stage piano but with a lot more controls and no inbuilt sound module which will probably save you some cash. With the money you save buy synthology ivory which, so I have heard, is the business. Just check you can run it as a standalone app first. Actually, I don't see why you can't run it in garageband (I don't use garageband much).

5. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

The Casio Previa line is pretty decent for the money they are going for.

The Previa PX-200 replaced the PX-310 (yeah, backward numbering scheme), but since the PX-200 doesn't include OS X drivers for their MIDI-over-USB functionality, the extra money is probably not worth it for a Mac user.

See if you can't get a good price on a PX-310 if you need 1/4" line outs in addition to headphone outs and MIDI in/out.

If you only need headphone outputs and MIDI, you might even find a better price on a PX-110.

Warning, stay away from the (non-Previa) CDP-100, the sustain characteristics and action are crap compared to the Previa line.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Adagio or Melodic.

You might also get a better response over on the Digital Piano forum of PianoWorld (link).

Good luck.

6. dingster1 macrumors regular

7. rynal macrumors newbie

MIDI to USB cable

Hi all
    I need a big favour from u al.....i m in great need of a USB to MIDI cable .M m all d way frm Fiji Islands ( A small dot in the South Pacific ) .We dont have MIDI cables been sold in our place ,i request u all if 1 of u cud send me a USB to MIDI cable to this adress:

Renal P
    P.O.Box 117 ,
    Lautoka
    Fiji Islands .

Hoping for a reply
    Thanks

8. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

rynal,

Fiji, may be a little 'dot' to some, however it's pretty damned close to NZ and we have heaps of such cables here for purchase. There are daily air freight schedules between our country so there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever in purchasing a cable using the internet and having it delivered to you.

You should be able to post a request at the RockShop's website and arrange to have one shipped from NZ - obviously, there will be mail charges, but they should be pretty small.

www.rockshop.co.nz

Failing that, have a poke around your yellow pages for Music instrument shops:

http://www.yellowpages.com.fj/listi...ation=Any+Location&parent=28541&trackback=-21

I believe South Pacific Recordings may be able to arrange one also.