Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick2099

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Today my wife and I got our watches :D

When she sends me a message, sketch or heartbeat it does work.
But when I send her a tap or a scribble it didn't reach her watch. A message only reaches her iPhone not the watch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Digital Touch not working on Apple watch

Digital touch doesn't appear to be working correctly. I send digital touch messages to my partner and she doesn't receive a notification or does she receive the message itself regular messages are sending fine.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Looks like turning iMessage off then on again on the phone fixed the issue.

There's still a few rough spots, expected with first revision software though.

I just had a problem where my crown wasn't scrolling through the weather, exciting it and reloading solved the issue. Little things like this I am sure will get fixed over time.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Make sure they're on your "friends" list on the Watch App, then turn imessage off and on, for both Phones.

Worked for me :)

On my Friends List, has a Watch that is activated and paired. No Digital Touch option.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 24, 4 36 15 PM.png
    Photo Apr 24, 4 36 15 PM.png
    129 KB · Views: 448
Reactions: acekicker77

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2006
My wife and I were having issues as well. I repaired her phone and rebooted mine and things started working. Not sure what did it.

Laowai184

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
Manchester
That fixed it. Thanks! What a dumb requirement...

Excellent! Yes, it's logical from an iMessage viewpoint I guess, but it's not immediately obvious to the user, especially since the Apple guide says you can use digital touch if the other user has an Apple watch. I was banging my head against the wall for a while figuring that out!

Reactions: ladytonya

Maxtoid

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Just wanted to add this for anyone that it might help: My friend and I worked on this literally all day. We tried everything mentioned in all forms (clearing message history on phones and watches, turning iMessage off and on for both phones, changing emails and numbers, etc). Nothing worked.

Finally, in desperation, I went into my watch (the watch that couldn't initiate messages to the other one, because it didn't appear that they had an apple watch) and I removed that contact from favorites on the apple watch app on my iPhone, then re-added them to favorites. Not only did it sync their picture this time (no friends have pictures on my watch from initial sync... Hmm...), but now digital touch works!

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Yes!

I found this the hard way too, but removing them from FRIENDS and then adding them again, they popped up and I could not only send to them (as I could before,) but I could now RECEIVE from them.

ajk111

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Is anyone else having a digital touch drawing repeating twice? I can seem to get it to only play once. Very annoying.

Gadgetguy21

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Had the double posting on both my wife and my watch. Messages were fine but digital touch would say the messages were coming from one of my sons phones. Went through just about everything everyone else here did....I think the only other thing I did was sign out of my apple id in messages and face time in settings on all devices...about 9 of them! Lol. It fixed the double message on my watch but still having issues with the wife's. Now it says that she's sending herself messages as well as to me. Just received them yesterday afternoon so just need a little more time to work it out! :confused:

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I had this problem but after adding the other persons Apple ID to their contact info it worked instantly.

zzrnw7

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
fixed

I talked to apple today and they helped me fix the problem.

My wife could send digital touches to my watch but I couldn't to hers.

The solution was to go to Setting on my iPhone. Under Messages select Send & Receive. Under "you can be reached by iMessage at" make sure the phone's phone number is selected (mine was). Under "start new conversations from" select the phone's number (mine was not this way). Apple support said this setting was preferred anyway.

Good luck

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
My wife and I do not use phone service we use voice over IP. It seems to be an issue. Not able to get digital touch to work
I don't think phone service is required, but imessage setup CORRECTLY on all four devices and WIFI/INTERNET connectivity of some format is. Have you checked those items.

acekicker77

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2015
On my Friends List, has a Watch that is activated and paired. No Digital Touch option.

I have this same problem. They even replaced the watch and that didn't help. Anyone know how to fix it?

Have tried everything already mentioned in this forum:
- Watch replaced by Apple
- Apple ID in Contact
- Turned iMessage off/on
- Wiped phone, wiped watch - set up as new watch
- Removed contact from Favorites and re-added
- Ticked phone number in Send & Receive

So far I have spent about 5 hours with Apple engineers and they can't make it work.

My wife's watch works fine but on my watch there is NO OPTION for digital touch. As though it does not recognize that the contact has digital touch.

Driving me insane. If they can't fix it soon then I want a refund and they can keep their watch.

Last edited:

Sorton

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
Had the double posting on both my wife and my watch. Messages were fine but digital touch would say the messages were coming from one of my sons phones. Went through just about everything everyone else here did....I think the only other thing I did was sign out of my apple id in messages and face time in settings on all devices...about 9 of them! Lol. It fixed the double message on my watch but still having issues with the wife's. Now it says that she's sending herself messages as well as to me. Just received them yesterday afternoon so just need a little more time to work it out! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.