Digital TV Set-top box

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by firstquality72, Mar 30, 2008.

1. firstquality72 macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I subscribes TV Digital Classic with Time Warner Cable (TWC). I have 2 TV units. One is in the living room and another one is in the bedroom. I pay for a set-top box for $5 each/month. So far, i just use one set-top box in the living room. My bedroom doesn't have it, but it can see basic channels only. My questions are:

1. Why do i need to pay TWC for $5 each month for that box since that box will not belong to customer? Customers need to return that box if they terminate the TV cable.

2. Ok..just say yes, customer need to pay for $5, but why the box still isn't belong to customers until any time since customers need to return it someday? Is that really that expensive that box? No, right. Briefly speaking, i wanna say, until some certain of time, that box is supposed to belong to customers. Example, if we subscribe the tv cable for 2 years and pay $5 per month, that means customers already pay for $120 for that two years. So, that box is supposed to belong to customers somedays. Even we can't use it after we terminate the tv cable.

2. I want my bedroom TV can have all the channels such as the tv's in the living room. If i go to buy myself the set-top box in the market, can i use it directly? Or do i still need to pay for TWC another additional $5 to get it works, even i use my own set-top box? Generally speaking, can that additional top box work if i hook it up without letting the cable company comes to install for that additional set-top box?

Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is how the cable TV business works. You rent a set-top box for each TV on which you want to view those digital channels. Trying to view them without your cable provider's equipment is known as "stealing cable." They take a dim view of that sort of thing. Come on. Is the $5.00/month really that big a burden?

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I used to live in an appartment. Paid rent each month, even though the appartment would not become my property.

OK, you'll probably object that building an appartment costs real money. Guess what, so does the cable box: the cable company purchases it, installs it, maintains it, replaces it when it's broken, takes it back and disposes of it when it's obsolete. That's certainly worth something.

- Martin