Digital Video clips not importing to iPhoto '08

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kathybeachgirl, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kathybeachgirl macrumors newbie

:confused:I am a bit frustrated with my Mac right now because I cannot figure out how to download my video clips that I have stored on memory sticks for a long time (from my digital camera). Here is what I have: eMac computer (yes, a desktop); OSX v10.4.11, processor 1GHZ PowerPCG4, Memory 768 MB SDRAM; capacity: 74. 52 GB; available space: 18.63 GB; iPhoto '08 (v7.1.5); QuickTime Player v7.6.4; Video clip format: AVI; Digital Camera: Nikon Coolpix S640. I have 57 photos on my stick that I am trying to download and 5 of those are movies. After I hit Import it was stuck on the import for at least an hour until finally it said to complete the import. After all that time it then said the import failed with this error message: "Unreadable Files: 55". The reason it says 55 and not 57 is because the first two photos in order of the download are regular photos followed by the 5 movie clips, then the rest of the photos. I tried to do my own research and some people online said to download Perian, which will assist with the video clip download (because they are AVI and QuickTime doesn't recognize it). It seemed pretty straightforward enough so I downloaded it and said it was installed (I verified in System Preferences). I rebooted and then hooked up my camera (again)... the system could not download anything and finally froze. I saw no reason for it not to work but I am not an expert. An Apple clerk said to unistall Perian and instead download first, Flip4Mac, and if that doesn't work, Miro video converter. I actually tried the Miro download first and it said it couldn't download to my system. Why did the Apple Genius recommend this? Then I tried the Flip4Mac. It seemed to have downloaded OK. I rebooted and plugged my camera in AGAIN. Same thing happened, it said it couldn't download the movie clip. Shouldn't this be a simple resolve for an Apple store "Genius" to have fixed? I mean they are the expert not I. They said to bring in the computer some time but it is heavy and I am not about to lug it through the mall. Furthermore... a few years ago I imported a video clip from someone that sent it to me (I probably just dragged & dropped, not "imported" into iPhoto). The video clip is still in iPhoto and plays great. Why? It is also in AVI format. If I can get all my video clips in iPhoto like this one that would be golden. This is what my iPhoto has on the left for information: 698 Events, 8,960 photos, 1 movie, 19.3 GB. How can I make importing video clips easier? Why isn't Apple support easier and direct with clear answers without having to search forever for a solution? I think the whole "Support" for Apple should be revamped entirely and redesigned. I appreciate your help. Sincerely, Kathy

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Firstly, Flip4Mac enables you to play .wmv files on ytour Mac, so it will have no effect regarding your avi files.

Secondly, the avi format is just a container for the video/audio etc that makes up the complete video. They can be produced by using various codecs, so it's possible that a codec was used that iPhoto/your Mac doesn't recognise.

Can you dig into the file structure in your camera to find the videos? If so then just drag them into a folder on your Mac. If they subsequently won't play in Quicktime then try installing MPEGStreamclip and converting to Qyuicktime.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

3. kathybeachgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Dave, Thank you for responding. If you wouldn't mind (OR IF YOU ARE NOT AVAILABLE, SOMEONE ELSE TOO), I need to understand each part of what you wrote so I can better figure this out because some of the terms are not familiar to me (yet).
    1) "Firstly, Flip4Mac enables you to play .wmv files on ytour Mac, so it will have no effect regarding your avi files."... OK. Apparently the Apple store "Genius" is less then genius because they recommended this as a fix.
    2) "Secondly, the avi format is just a container for the video/audio etc that makes up the complete video. They can be produced by using various codecs, so it's possible that a codec was used that iPhoto/your Mac doesn't recognise."... I am unfamiliar with a "codec". How can this be fixed for my camera and iPhoto? I know that iPhoto can play an AVI video clip because I only have one in there that I got from someone else and it plays fine. So basically it is the actual transfer of the video information that we need to fix, correct?
    3) "Can you dig into the file structure in your camera to find the videos? If so then just drag them into a folder on your Mac."... I have no idea how to do this, sorry.
    4) "If they subsequently won't play in Quicktime then try installing MPEGStreamclip and converting to Qyuicktime.
    http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html"
    ... I also downloaded Squared5 earlier (among my other downloads which I also have now trying to fix this problem - they're all in there). I rebooted and crossed my fingers when I reconnected my camera (again). It was so slow and it was doing it's importing process for over an hour and then it said the import failed (again). I mean, I just did a regular download of Squared 5 - shouldn't it just work? I went into System Preferences, it is there. It shows as the DC30 Xact Driver 1.6.3. At the bottom of the box it has the DC30 status as: "The driver did not load, or was unable to find and start your DC30/DC30 plus. Please restart your computer, reinstall this driver, and check your card." OK, so apparently it didn't download properly. I don't know why or what I did wrong. I did restart my computer after I downloaded it so it shouldn't be that. I am not sure how to "check my card" as it is also indicating.
    ONE MORE INFORMATION TO MENTION... when my camera is connected to download the photos during all these test runs, it either shuts down or goes in powersaving mode after a long while (probably because it takes a long time for the import into iPhoto and then it ultimately fails the import). I don't think it should affect the import because all the photo thumbnails are still showing in the iPhoto import pane, along with the camera indicator on the left side. I just thought I mention it anyways.

4. kathybeachgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem fixed with importing my AVI video clips into iPhoto!!

HURRAY!!! The problem of importing AVI video clips has been resolved! (Thanks Dave for beginning to help out.) I did download Squared5 converter but I am not sure if it actually played a part in the resolution (remember before I mentioned there was a note in System Preferences in Squared5 saying it did not download properly). Anyways... this is all you have to do:
    (someone outside of MacRumors gave me this info)
    1 - Get a Memory Card Reader and connect it to the USB port of your computer. (I used the "GE High Speed 55-in-1 Card Reader" - it's a little white box about 2-1/4" squared that has several size slots on the three sides for various memory sticks. There are others available too.)
    2 - Insert your memory stick into the correct slot that fits.
    3 - Close down iPhoto for now.
    4 - On your desktop you will see the icon for the card reader. Click on it.
    5 - You will see various files. Open one of them that contains items and find the QuickTime graphic which indicate that is the video. Drag it to your desktop.
    6 - Wait for it to export it on the desktop (it may take a little while).
    7 - When it is done exporting, open iPhoto and drag your movie icon into iPhoto somewhere to automatically begin the importing.
    8 - Voila! done. (Note: two ways to search just for your video movies in iPhoto and bring them up all in one bunch for you to view. 1) In the comment field for the movie type in "Video". Do this for every movie you import. Afterwards, you can go to the bottom of the iPhoto screen where you can search and type in "video". All your videos will come up that have that description attached to it. AND/OR, 2) You don't have to write "video" in the description if this option works for you. At the same search place I mentioned earlier, click on the two tiny arrows and then click on "Keywords". Then click on the search word "Movies" that is already there. All your video clips should come up this way also.)
    THE ABOVE PROCESS SHOULD WORK FOR YOU TO IMPORT AVI VIDEO CLIPS. But I discovered a simpler way in the process that worked (at least for me) and I find no reason why it wouldn't work for others:
    1) No need to close down iPhoto to begin.
    2) Insert the memory stick into the card reader.
    3) In iPhoto, click on File at the top and then "Import to Library".
    4) In the box, you will see the card reader icon (probably underneath your HD icon). Click on the card reader icon.
    5) At the right you will see the same files. Find your video clip by looking for the Quick Time icon next to it.
    6) Select it and hit import.
    7) The video imported into iPhoto with no problem!!

NOW WHY COULDN'T THE APPLE STORE "GENIUS" TELL ME ANY OF THIS? AT LEAST THE PART TO TRY TO USE A MEMORY CARD READER TO BEGIN WITH. I JUST LOST A LITTLE BIT OF CONFIDENCE IN THEM.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That would have been my answer to your number 3 question.

With regards to question 2, a codec is the software that produces the avi file. avi files can be created by different codecs using different types of video, so it's possible that one computer may not be able to recognise the codec that was used. There is a more in depth explanation here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave

6. kathybeachgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate your help. Have a nice day. :)