Digital video signal transmission over OFC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Anu, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Anu macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does the digital video signals are converted to optical signals and transferred to the optical fiber cables directly or the digital video signals have to convert into electrical signal which inturn overt it into optical signals and transfer??

Regards ,
    Anu

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I see that this is your first post in the Digital Video Special Interest category here at MacRumors and would like to be the first to welcome you. I hope we can answer your question about the DTV switchover and solve any other questions you may have.
    Are you talking about the NTSC to ATSC switchover in February? If so you can find a lot of information here.
    As for your question, please give a little more detail so users know exactly what you are asking. :)

Regards,
    David

3. Anu thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Hi,
    Thank you..:)
    Actually i want to know that how the RGBHV signals are transmitted over the fiber optic cable.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

RGBHV signals are most commonly transmitted through DVI cables in computers and HDMI cables in TVs. I haven't heard of fiber optics being used with RGBHV, but then again, I didn't study television broadcasting. An RGBHV signal will be best transmitted through a HDMI cable or DVI cable. It used to be transmitted through VGA, but when the higher quality DVI cable was introduced, VGA was and is still slowly disappearing. RGBHV is an analog component video format. It is also transmitted through RCA cables. Hope this may help a little. I googled around and didn't find much information on it.:(

Regards,
    David

5. Anu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi David,

Thank u very much for your opinion.:)

Regards,
    Anu

6. -DH macrumors 65816

You'd need a digital fiber transmitter on the sending end and a digital fiber receiver on the other end. I haven't seen one with RGBHV inputs; most digital models are made for SDI input/output, but that doesn't mean that no one makes them. I'd recommend checking with companies that specialize in digital signage to see what they have available.

If they aren't made, you'd probably have to convert the RGBHV signal to SDI through a scan converter prior to feeding the fiber transmitter.

-DH