digital voice recorder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dorene, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Dorene macrumors newbie

Not sure I'm in the correct heading but here goes.

I'm looking for a digital voice recorder that is compatible with my iMac. I want to be able to transfer the files from the recorder to my iMac and then listen to them there using iTunes or whatever. I recently purchased a Sony ICD-UX533 that claimed to be compatible with Mac, but it is not. I was able to install the help guide, and transfer the recordings to my Mac, but unable to do anything with the files because they get changed during transfer from MP3 to a file with .MSF extension which is a Unix Executable File. I couldn't find anyway to use the file.

I'm ready to send the recorder back but thought I would try here in case there is some way for me to access the file that I don't know about.

Thanks

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I've used a variety of Olympus voice recorders. I don't what they're using now, but it was WMA (Windows Media Player?) at the time, and easily usable on a Mac with VLC or various other applications.

Or your phone... there are dozens of apps.

3. NYhoosier, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

NYhoosier macrumors newbie

I use an older Sony model (ICD-UX512) and it works well. I'm assuming your model will probably have the same behavior.

I did not install any additional software. Simply plugging it in by its (recorder's) internal USB connector allows viewing the files in Finder. After navigating the folder maze, double clicking a file (recorder is set on mp3) automatically opens iTunes and imports them.

Since it appears in Finder as a regular USB drive, you can copy/paste or move the files as normal to a destination of choice without any additional software required.

You see a different behavior?