Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacRy said:
Awesome! Nice one iGav. That kept me entertained for a while. I did note one slightly funny photo though. Check out this photo of one of the key NASA personnel during the launch of Apollo 11.......note his name tag and then wonder at how inappropriate that hand gesture of his is..... :D

Be careful - my Apollo 11 "hoax" links were considered inappropriate for this thread and were removed, even though, just as with your Apollo 11 picture, they were both posted in fun. If harmless "moon lading hoax" pictures aren't appropriate for this thread then I'm thinking references to Nazis wrt the Apollo mission may not be either - even though it's all in good fun and I personally find that pic somewhat amusing. I can't say I've ever seen that one before, Photoshopped or otherwise, thanks for that! ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
~Shard~ said:
Be careful - my Apollo 11 "hoax" links were considered inappropriate for this thread and were removed

To be fair, Mr Anderson did make it clear in the 2nd post that discussion of the Moon Hoax etc etc wouldn't be tolerated. I can understand why, there's already several threads dedicated to the topic, and usually they end up with people arguing using those same links and the same arguments and it quickly becomes tiresome. This thread would likely have suffered a similar fate and that would be such a shame for people who actually believe and have an interest in the lunar expeditions who maybe have yet to read this thread or even know that these pictures have been placed online.

Track down some of the older threads and you'll see how 'passionate' people become on the whole 'hoax' theory. :eek: :p and you'll understand why Mr Anderson put the warning at the beginning of the thread.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
iGAV said:
To be fair, Mr Anderson did make it clear in the 2nd post that discussion of the Moon Hoax etc etc wouldn't be tolerated. I can understand why, there's already several threads dedicated to the topic, and usually they end up with people arguing using those same links and the same arguments and it quickly becomes tiresome. This thread would likely have suffered a similar fate and that would be such a shame for people who actually believe and have an interest in the lunar expeditions who maybe have yet to read this thread or even know that these pictures have been placed online.

Track down some of the older threads and you'll see how 'passionate' people become on the whole 'hoax' theory. :eek: :p and you'll understand why Mr Anderson put the warning at the beginning of the thread.

And as I stated in my previous post, I do honestly apoloigze for that - I wasn't aware of the other discussions on that topic, and I didn't realize they have caused a lot of "headaches" in the past - if I would have known that I woulnd't have bothered. I thought they would have just spurred some interesting discusison, but I guess I should have known better. ;)

So I am sincere in my apology, and was just posting a concern with my reply to that other picture - I hope I wasn't coming across as being sarcastic or bitter or anything! As I said, I respect Mr. Anderson's reasons and I see better now where he's coming from, as I agree with what you've said above.

And thanks for the pics iGav, those are really amazing! It's amazing to think that the computers used to land the Apollo mission on the moon is less powerful than my HP calculator right now... ;) :cool:

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
~Shard~ said:
I didn't realize they have caused a lot of "headaches" in the past - if I would have known that I woulnd't have bothered. I thought they would have just spurred some interesting discusison, but I guess I should have known better. ;)

You should search for some of those threads heheheh... some of the posts are quite amusing, for some reason I always remember someone mentioning the Van Halen belts :eek: :p :p :p

It's a shame NASA hasn't loaded up even higher res images. Do NASA sell proper photo's of the Moon and the like??

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
iGAV said:
You should search for some of those threads heheheh... some of the posts are quite amusing, for some reason I always remember someone mentioning the Van Halen belts :eek: :p :p :p

Heh heh - sounds amusing - I think I'll check some of the out then! Should make for some amusing weekend reading... ;)

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
~Shard~ said:
I can't say I've ever seen that one before, Photoshopped or otherwise, thanks for that! ;)

I never meant anyone to be offended by it either - just a bit of fun.....and no, it's not photoshopped, it's straight from NASA's site otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacRy said:
I never meant anyone to be offended by it either - just a bit of fun.....and no, it's not photoshopped, it's straight from NASA's site otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Interesting, I didn't know if it was real or not - you can never be sure nowadays! ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
~Shard~ said:
If Mr. Anderson would like this discussion to be one-sided though and focused solely on the pictures, (even though my post was technically about the pictures), I completely respect that since he is the Moderator, and I apologize for the links - I was just trying to add a different perspective and point of view to the discussion which I thought members here would appreciate and discuss accordingly. I did not realize there were already discussion threads on this topic, so once again, I offer my apologies if they are indeed required. :eek:

A different perspective is fine - my point, which you totally failed to see was that I didn't want this thread to get bogged down in a discussion on whether they're real or not. Its been discussed ad nausium here at Macrumors and you're more than welcome to start it up again - but as a current event, that discussion really isn't proper.

And I do not appreciate you posting it, specifically asked for people not to. :mad: :(

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
A different perspective is fine - my point, which you totally failed to see was that I didn't want this thread to get bogged down in a discussion on whether they're real or not. Its been discussed ad nausium here at Macrumors and you're more than welcome to start it up again - but as a current event, that discussion really isn't proper.

Yes, I agree - I did fail to see your point, and I apologized. As I stated, I did not realize this topic had been discussed ad nauseum in multiple threads already - otherwise, I would not have posted those links here. I appreciate your point of view on why you would want to keep this a focused discussion strictly on the topic at hand.

Mr. Anderson said:
And I do not appreciate you posting it, specifically asked for people not to. :mad: :( D

And this is completely fair too, and my fault - I saw the thread, posted the links, and did not bother to read your warning in your earlier post. Don't know how I missed it (especially since it was in RED ;) ) but I did, so my apologies.

I was initially going to PM this to you Mr. Anderson, but I wanted to make sure everyone else in this discussion thread realizes I'm not just trying to be defiant, cause trouble and be an ass. Sure, I'll be a bastard in other threads in my own way at times to have a little fun, but this type of thing isn't my style. ;) :cool:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Awwww isn't it lovely when we all play nicely and get along. :D

Come on everyone.....group hug.........

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacRy said:
Awwww isn't it lovely when we all play nicely and get along. :D

Come on everyone.....group hug.........

Heh heh - glad you guys appreciated that. ;) Just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings, as Mr. Anderson seemed kind of ticked... :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
~Shard~ said:
Heh heh - glad you guys appreciated that. ;) Just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings, as Mr. Anderson seemed kind of ticked... :)

Well, he's either in the midst of or just finished a move to a new house. That can make anyone tense!

I do think it's just because he'd said not to mention anything. I don't truly think you did anything bad otherwise. I'd also not seen any of the "hoax" threads, so I didn't know what the deal was either. I've only been viewing for four months or so, and I must have missed them.

Anyway, regardless of this little mess, the pictures are awesome.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
glad you understand and I too realize that you could have missed the warning :D

One of the more recent discussions can be found here...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/70765/

If you want to discuss more of this, start it up there or in another thread - I'd contribute.

And I'm still unpacking boxes - there's a lot to do and I'm not here all that much lately. But tomorrow my new office gets arranged. Just tonight I got to make our first real meal in the new kitchen :D

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mr. Anderson said:
And I'm still unpacking boxes - there's a lot to do and I'm not here all that much lately. But tomorrow my new office gets arranged. Just tonight I got to make our first real meal in the new kitchen :D

D

Congrats on the new job and house. Bet you are loving the lower cost of living compared to the DC area. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.