Digitiser Replacement Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chriss316, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Chriss316 macrumors newbie

Hey, Ive replaced the digitiser on a friends iPhone 3GS, ive done a number of screen replacement and iphones fixes in the past but this one is stumping me.

Screen is replaced and working perfectly but the iphone keeps rebooting every 2-3 minutes, long story short my friend was with me when I was replacing it and I thought there was a problem with the digitiser and they had to leave so I gave her her sim card and took the phone home with me and thats when I realised the digitiser wasn't connected properly and I want to try and avoid having to tell her I fixed the screen but now theres a battery issue, I also have no idea if the phone has a current back up or not so reinstalls may be out of the question for now until I know I have no other choice.

What could be causing the phone to continually reboot every few minutes, I dont suppose it could have anything to do with the sim card being out?

I know there could be a number of issues but I just want to explore all the options and get second opinions incase theres something im missing, searched around a bit but not getting anything related to my problem

Thanks.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It has nothing to do with digitizer or LCD, this has to do with software issue or package you installed. Trying to delete your installed package 1 by 1 or restore your phone will fix this problem.

3. Chriss316 thread starter macrumors newbie

Was thinking restore may be the only option, phone is on ios 5 and was also wondering if it can detect new hardware at all which may be causing the reboots?

what do you mean by installed package tho?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Downgrade it to 4.1 fw and you will have an untethered jailbreak. For some reason, Apple still signs this 4.1 fw, so you all allow to downgrade it.

If your phone is jailbroken, there are packages from outside source might interference with the os in the phone which might cause this issue. So, deleting of these packages might help.

5. Chriss316, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Chriss316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I take it it would be best to do a FW reinstall on the registered computer rather than me doing it on my mac?
    iphone is not jailbroken and this is the third time the screen has been replaced and has never needed to be restored/reinstalled in any way before it just worked straight off which is the part thats kind of puzzling me.

6. Chriss316 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the continual rebooting has been solved, apparently the problem was because I wasn't typing the password in when the phone started, I didn't have the password to begin with so I was unable to log into the phone, but when I asked for the password to do a restore as the phone couldn't connect to itunes without it I noticed it had been a few minutes and the phone hadn't rebooted, so I turned it off and on again logged in and the phone is now perfectly fine, been running for over 24 hours now without a single restart.

I take it iOS 5 now requires the password to verify new hardware to insure that the person making the changes is the rightful owner of the phone and not someone trying to mod the phone to bypass any passwords put in place?