Digitising Digibeta onto 27 i7 imac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by boro, Nov 18, 2009.

1. boro macrumors newbie

Digitising Digibeta onto 27 i7 imac?

I want to digitise Digibeta tapes uncompressed direct from the camera into the imac to edit with Final Cut Pro What would be the easiest and cheapest way of achieving this without losing any quality or frames? Does anyone have experience of this?

(Please do not suggest shooting on other DV formats).

Thank you. :)

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Doing that isn't going to be easy because the iMac has very limited expandability. You'll need something like the Io LD which can capture uncompressed SD over SDI and send it to your Mac via FW. The second part of the challenge is getting fast enough storage on your Mac when you only have one FW bus (and it's being used by the capture hardware). You could buy (or build if you have the tech knowledge) a fast, ethernet based SAN to connect to your iMac, but that plus the capture hardware is a multi-thousand dollar investment.

Lethal

3. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Talk to a local post house and get a quote for getting it captured to an external drive. Depending on the amount of footage you have, it would probably be significantly cheaper than investing in new equipment.

4. boro thread starter macrumors newbie

AstrayCliche - that's not a bad shout, would it need to be captured via Final cut pro or would Avid be ok? I know alot more people who use Avid.

You wouldn't happen to know what size external hard drive I would need? 40mins rushes.

Thank you very much for responding and your help!

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

If you're going to edit in FCP, then you'll need to capture in FCP. Drive size will depend on what codec you'll be capturing to and the number of tapes.