Digitize my CD's

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by zarathu, May 13, 2019.

1. zarathu, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019

zarathu macrumors 6502

zarathu

I’ve decided to get out of the 1940’s since my car no longer has a CD player.

I have no problem digitalizing my entire cd 900 unit collection into a 2 terabyte external SSD drive and running it off of Vox Player(or maybe something that will respond to Siri).

I’ve discovered several hi-fi bluetooth receivers, one with a separate digital to analig chip in it.

Does anyone have a choice for the blue tooth receiver that would be hi fi audio--at least 16 bit CD quality?

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Quality sound" + "bluetooth" = oxymoron.

Does the car audio have a USB connector?
    Or an SD card slot (I've seen that on some)?

What file formats does the car player support?
    It will certainly support mp3, what else?

My suggestion:
    1. Encode to mp3 with HIGH BITRATES, such as 256bits. At 256bits, mp3's can sound remarkably good.
    2. Put this onto one or more USB flash drives (may require more than one)
    3. Use them with the car player IF it has USB input.

Be aware that unless the metadata is properly "brought over", the car audio system may not be able to organize the albums/songs properly.

4. HDFan macrumors 65816

To preserve the original CD quality you want a lossless rip. In iTunes:

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 00.25.31.png

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

HD wrote:
    "To preserve the original CD quality you want a lossless rip. In iTunes..."

BUT... if his car player can't handle Apple lossless -- it does nothing for him.

That's why I suggested high-bitrate MP3 -- because virtually EVERY car audio system out there will support it.

6. iluvmacs99 macrumors member

The Audioengine series of DACs is quite nice. I am guessing that you are looking at the Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver with its built-in DAC which is very nice if you've got the ears to notice the depth and clarity of your recordings. I have an Audioengine D1 myself for home HIFI use which I bought from a fire sale new. CD quality isn't hard to achieve with a bluetooth DAC especially with 16bit dynamic range and 44.1Khz high frequency response (Nyquist response means you get 20-20Khz response) and the Audioengine B1 can do that. I personally think it's a super overkill to buy a bluetooth receiver with a HD DAC that can go up to 24bit/96Khz and a VOX player capable of HD Audio output. I mean, you're in a car and it's not the ideal place to listen to high quality audio through a DAC unless you've got some really fine audio system in your car as well as good sound insulation. Otherwise, outside noise will reduce your frequency response that you're probably be better off buying the much cheaper $20-$30 bluetooth options if you insist in going wireless. An audio cable is a cheaper option, but if you must go wireless and bluetooth give the audioengine B1 a look.

7. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Every apple device supports it.

My suggestion to OP would be to get an iPod classic, or an older iPod and upgrade it. I mainly use an iPod Mini with a 128GB CF card. I also use an 80GB iPod classic 6th gen that's stock. You can fit around 3,000 or so songs on the 80GB in ALAC (apple lossless). With USB or 3.5mm "aux" cable any system can support ALAC paired with an iPod.

I would suggest against using any compressed format, if you're coming from CDs. I can tell the difference between a 320 MP3 and a CD, especially if its a "busy" song. I personally find it a waste of time and energy to import CDs as MP3. If you import them losslessly, you make a new copy of whatever songs you want as MP3 or compressed AAC if you wanted to, while preserving the lossless files on your computer.