Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
Anyone have any luck digitizing DV tapes from a SONY GVHD7001 deck to an iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021? I used to be able to do this on a PowerMac G4 and Mac Pro2 running Snow Leopard albeit hit or miss trying to get it to work.

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
I'm using the SONY i.LINK output with a Tera Grand Firewire 800 9-Pin to Firewire 400 4-Pin Cable inputted to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. This works with my SONY DV Video camera but not the SONY GVHD7001 deck, which has more useful functions than the camera.

Reactions: erihp

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I'm using the SONY i.LINK output with a Tera Grand Firewire 800 9-Pin to Firewire 400 4-Pin Cable inputted to a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. This works with my SONY DV Video camera but not the SONY GVHD7001 deck, which has more useful functions than the camera.
You may have to insert a Thunderbolt dock (either TB1/2 or TB3) into the chain, as the the voltage requirements may be too great for a purely passive connection.

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
You may be on to something. As I recall when I used this on Snow Leopard I used a Kramer PT-1FW DV Line Protector. Is there someway I could incorporate this into the chain for the iMac?

Attachments

• lineprotector.jpg
    lineprotector.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 25

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
You may be on to something. As I recall when I used this on Snow Leopard I used a Kramer PT-1FW DV Line Protector. Is there someway I could incorporate this into the chain for the iMac?
I'm not familiar with that. See if you can borrow a TB dock, or find one cheap via eBay.

Reactions: Marshy48

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
Do you think I should try the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Do you think I should try the CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub?
If you do, make sure you can return it.

I don't think it's a voltage or bus power thing. I have seen it posted many times that the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter does NOT allow bus power to pass through, at least when used to connect a TB3 device to a TB2 computer. (Thus, the TB3 device in this example cannot be bus powered and must have its own power source.)

You're using it in the opposite direction, but I'd assume it wouldn't pass power that way, either. Anyway, why would the SONY GVHD7001 deck require Firewire bus power -- isn't it plugged into the wall outlet?

Unfortunately, I don't have any explanation why your existing setup works for the camera and not for the deck. Sorry.

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
I ordered a CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub which I may use for other purposes but can return if it does not work. But as a work around would a Sony VMC-15MR2 Handycam A/V Cable work on a SONY GV-HD700? If so could I then connect it to a Elgato USB Analog Video Capture Device, the iLink function on the Sony deck is not recognized on my Mac OS14.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I wish I knew, but I really have very little knowledge in this area (probably shouldn't have opened my mouth here, ha ha!).

I've read that i.Link is just Sony's name for Firewire, so I'm really surprised your cable and adapter won't work for the Sony deck, when they do work for the Sony camera. It makes no sense to me.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea for you.

rajs

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004

Marshy48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2024
The iLink on my SONY GV-HD700 was not recognized on my Mac OS14 so I resolved this issue by bypassing iLink with the A/V output connected to a Pearstone 10-Pin A/V Cable for Sony Handycam connected to an Elgato USB Analog Video Capture Device. Works like a charm for capturing video.

Reactions: Brian33

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
It's possible the iLink/FireWire port on your GV-HD700 is dead. Sometimes that happens. I've had to replace a Sony Digital8 camera with a fried iLink port with the same model that still has a good port, since it's important for importing the Digital8 tapes and even analog Video8 and Hi-8 recordings in full DV quality. And yes, it works when I daisy-chain it to the Thunderbolt adapters for use with my M1 MacBook Air.

Pbwj

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
I went down in the loophole last year trying to get the best miniDV/VHS tape conversions for my old tapes. In short, I learned that the newer Macs (or Macs just in general) are not ideal for achieving high quality captures, as many of the hardware and software options are incompatible. You are better off getting a cheap windows xp/7 device with an older capture card (even Win 10 don't play nice with many of the capture hardware).

I would suggest looking at DigitalFaq or Videohelp forum for recommended hardware and workflows. There are threads where they recommend which cameras and capture devices work best.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I captured hundreds of old MiniDV (also DVCAM and HDV) tapes back around 2016, still have about a hundred left to do, but kind of lost interest in the project. I used my 2012 2.6ghz quad i7 Mini at the time, it was quite a machine in its day and I paid over $1,300 for it.

But today, you can get these for a song - MacSales (aka Other World Computing) sells them used with a limited warranty, the same spec as mine only costs $200 now. You would also probably be fine with a cheaper/lower spec configuration, they have some for under $100 on their site.

For me, the big attraction of the 2012 Mini is that it has a firewire port. Also has thunderbolt 1 and USB 3.0, so there are good options for external disks to store the digitized videos. Anyway, at those prices, might be another approach to consider and it wouldn't tie up your new computer during capture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.