Digitizing Hi 8 Tapes to edit in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yellowsubmarine, Jul 22, 2010.

1. yellowsubmarine macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have some old tapes that I want to digitize and edit on FCP. I've read a ton of threads but they all seem to be outdated so I wanted to see if maybe now there is a easier way to digitize these tapes.

I have the video camera, it has an S video and A/V connection. I'm at a loss as to how to approach this. Advice?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need something like this: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html

It can be had for cheaper though, just look for video capturing devices via USB, that hasn't changed since the last threads anyway.

Just make sure to use the .mov format/container with the Apple Intermediate Codec and Uncompressed sound for the video files you want to edit in FCP. If the capture devices can record in that format is not a given though, you might need one transcoding step via MPEG Streamclip.

If you have a Mac Pro, you could use the Intensity Pro for recording in an FCP native format.
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/

3. filmweaver macrumors regular

I'm not sure what your budget is but here is a real nice one that I use.
    Canopus ADVC110, My Apple store had it (I think it was around $235.00) but if you shop around it can be had for around $200.00 or a little less. I tried the ones for $100.00 and they weren't as good as I was looking for. I lost video/audio sync with the cheaper ones.
    This unit will also work with VHS if you need it.

Good Luck.

4. BlogYourEarth macrumors newbie

Hi,

I digitized my Video8 tapes with a canopus analog digital converter and Finale Cut Express4. It worked fine for me.
    My little HowTo is available here.

HowTo digitize Video8 tapes

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've used a Canopus ADVC110 in the past. It's an excellent converter but don't expect much from old Hi8 tapes.

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I used an ADVC110 for digitising VHS tapes at work and it was great. Now I have a VHS/DVD recorder so it doesn't get used any more.

7. hsilver macrumors regular

Another suggestion to save buying a A/D convertor box - feed the camera to a mini DV or HDV camera or deck -or any other format with Firewire out. Some have pass-through and with the Firewire out will go directly into your editing system. If it doesn't have pass-through record to miniDV or HDV or whatever the camera records and then digitize that.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

A lot of the consumer-grade mini DV camcorders even dropped analog in years ago.

9. the vj macrumors 6502a

You can capture even with Quicktime 7 if you wish and the Canopus.

10. bigcreek macrumors member

you might be able to pick up a cheap old camera that has firewire out on ebay.

Although, the canopus solution I have works very well.

11. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

If you have

If you have a mini DV camera that's the cheapest way, assuming it has FireWire, most do. More time consuming but saves you some money. I did the miniDV way fr many projects and worked great.

12. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

the easiest/best way is the canopus advc-110, which retails for $220. i have this so i recommend it. but, i think canopus' advcmini can also work for you--it's cheaper at ~$120 or so. i think it does the same thing. except it is USB 2.0 instead of firewire and has less outputs/inputs. there is also the advc-55 at ~$165....