Dilema: New MBA or MBP? (photoediting)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by xopher, Jun 12, 2012.

1. xopher macrumors newbie

You guys are probably sick of these threads popping up.. but i really need to hear from more experienced guys.

Unfortunately for me, both my desktop and laptop crapped out on me this year (Both were dell but they've been good to be for a few years). Seeing as how apple hasn't gone ahead with updating the iMac this year, ive decided to go with a laptop that i can bring around for school.

As of this moment, my budget permits me to either purchase the 13 inch MBA or the 13 inch MBP (50 dollar difference)

I have compared the specs online and the processing speed is really causing some dilemma for me

As stated on the apple website:

the 13 inch MBA will have a 1.8 GHZ dual core with turbo boost to 2.8
    the 13 inch MBP will have a 2.5 GHZ dual core with turbo boost to 3.1

It is clear the MBP is much faster, however, turbo boosting the Air seems very tempting...

Can someone explain the turboboosting to me? Im expecting it to be similar to overclocking which in return will probably heat it up much faster and drain the battery.

The only reason why im looking at the MBA is because it comes with a SSD drive. I have been spoiled on my brother's desktop with SSD and i see it being very useful when i Photoshop Raw files.

In addition, i recall someone mentioning a matte finish screen for the MBA however i dont see this option on the website.. does it really exist?

2. Adamb10 macrumors member

TurboBoost is when the processor basically overclocks itself for a short period of time.

As for the screen, only the 15" MBP has the option to get a matte one, you cant change anything about the screen on the MBA (besides the 11 and 13" sizes of course).