Dilema, replace internal HD or get a big external

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ferris23, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Hi, my 2007 2.2 MBP is getting low on space and I'm not really sure what to do. Can you think of any pros and cons of getting a large external or should I just pop a 250 in the MBP and risk voiding my warranty?

2. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You do not void your warranty, unless you break something while inside doing the upgrade.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It depends on your usage. For my old Macbook Pro (rev. 2, need to get my new one) the 120 gig HD was fine. Keep in mind I have the entire CS3 Master Collection + bonus content installed as well as Logic Studio with 40 gigs of instruments-on an external hard drive. If you find yourself doing lots of "field work" then yeah a bigger internal may work better. If you are already tethered to your desk you can spend the same change getting a 1tb FW800 drive which will help you with backups too.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pop in a bigger internal drive; you won't be risking your warranty with an upgrade, just make sure you have the proper tools; and external is quick in the short run, but say you travel, you want everything in your computer, not on some external you have to lug around.

5. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Some good points here. Backups certainly make me want an external however times out and about I would want that space internal. I may just get both and reduce the size of the external I was looking at.

While I have some help in here, and I'm sure it's been covered, but is it worth the premium going with a 7200 rpm drive?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you need the speed? If you're going video editing, you need a bigger external scratch disk anyways, so just get 5400RPM drive and a nice big capacity (320GB is optimal price/GB these days).