Dilema....

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lionmanpt, Aug 19, 2014.

1. lionmanpt macrumors regular

Hi !

Just a couple of weeks a brand new Ipad4 wifi+3g 128GB by a nice price (500 Euros).

Since the Ipad was a gift, it is still unopened.

However I got a chance to buy the iPad Air with the same config for more 290 Euros.

My only fear is that the iPad 4 comes "obsolete" very soon due to eminent arrival of a new Ipad Air.

I still have the chance to change the iPads. The question is : would you do it having in consideration the price difference and the advantages of the Air over the iPad 4 ?

Thanks !

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the iPad 4 was a gift as you state. I'd probably keep it, since I would not want to offend the person who spent a lot of money on it.

3. lionmanpt thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I didn't explained myself correctly. The iPad was a gift from me (I still haven't decided which one to buy), but before giving the present I found out that the person had just bought one, so I had to find another solution.

The decision is know for me: keep the Ipad 4 vs buy the Air.

Thanks !!

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The iPad 4 can be updated to iOS 8, so it won't be obsolete for at least another year. It's also likely to get iOS 9, though it might not get all the features.

Overall, for 290 euros more, you are getting a year of extra life, and a lighter, slightly smaller form factor. Performance wise, unless you are in to heavy gaming, I haven't seen any apps where the speed difference between the Air and 4 makes any significant difference in daily use.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

For me, when a device becomes "obsolete" is when Apple no longer supports it, meaning no new ios update.

Since Apple still sells the iPhone 4S and will likely get the iOS 8 update, I'm sure it's not obsolete.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh in that case, if you bought the iPad 4, I'd return/sell it and then get the Air.

Why not get the newer faster lighter one which will last longer then the iPad 4.

7. lionmanpt thread starter macrumors regular

X64

Do you think that the fact that there is a shift for 64 bit on the iPad Air can be a sign from that most apps will tend to take advantage of this architecture ?

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes if the developers decides to take advantage of the 64 bit. But I'm sure they would have to make it work for the 32 bit as well.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Haven't seen an app yet that takes advantage if the 64 bit CPU. I think there are still too many 32 bit devices in use for devs to seriously consider moving to 64 bits. Maybe by the time we get to iOS 9 or 10, it'll be an issue. By which point the iPad 4 won't be getting OS updates any longer.