DILEMMA -- 15" or 17" MBP????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTony88, Jan 26, 2009.

1. iTony88 macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I need to get a MBP for work (im an editor, just so you know what I'll be using it for) So I've come to the conclusion that I will be either getting the 2.53 GHz 15" ... OR the 2.66 GHz 17"

Now, I do my editing on FCP, and I use after effects and photoshop, but nothing TOO heavy on the computer, so I know both these machine will be able to handle what I do. So the real question is: is there a really good reason to hold off and buy the 17"?? The only thing that is keep me from buying a 15" is the ability to upgrade to 8GB of ram on the 17"!! This alone is why I want the 17", because in 3 year, I would assume that 8GB of ram will be MUCH cheaper, and in that sense, it is futureproof. I may be horribly mistaken, but that is a huge selling point to me...

So what I want is for someone to convince me to either buy the 15" right away, or hold off and buy the 17"

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Quick question, when you edit do have FCP, After Effects and Photoshop open at the same time or any combination of the 3? Those are pretty hefty programs (from what I understand).

3. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

No generally I have FCP open, and possibly another. But I generally keep it to 2 or less, cause I know they are pretty intensive programs. BUT i know that the MBP would be able to handle it, like I said, I dont do too many crazy effects and whatnot, its generally a lot of clean cutting!

4. nopassn macrumors regular

The 17 is coming fast. The cost difference isn't that much. I personally am waiting. If you can wait a couple of weeks, get the 17. If you can't wait a couple of weeks, get the 15...

5. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I personally love my 15. I also do a lot of work with FCP (I work at a local ABC-affiliate station) and it can keep up very well, even with heavy (uncompressed) rendering. You're not going to notice a huge jump in performance with the stock 17 inch processor, and right now it costs too much to upgrade the ram past 4gb. With the video card being the same, you're basically paying for the battery and screen real estate. Personally, I don't mind the lower resolution screen, but it's really a matter of personal preference. For me, the smaller footprint is important, as is the lighter weight. I used to own a 17 inch MBP, and it just seemed too heavy for me. Again, personal preference.

Just examine the pros and cons of each laptop and decide based on your needs. You know better than anyone what you need.

6. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool thanks guys, i really appreciate your responses.

Right now, I am completely split between the two. Between the two, there really isnt any cons... I dont mind the glossy screen, or the smaller screen, but at the same time, a higher res screen is a plus, and the upgradable memory.

SO i am split, I really want one ASAP, but I dont want to make a desicion and regret it. I think I am thinking about this too much LOL!

7. nopassn macrumors regular

I agree... at the end of the day, performance out the door is going to be about the same. But the 17 can go up to 8 gig (once the price comes down on RAM) and you get a bigger screen - if you don't mind an extra pound of weight. Ultimately, it all comes down to: when do you need said computer, and how much screen size do you want/need - it completely comes down to a personal preference.

8. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

This probably won't influence your decision, but I'll still throw it out there. When the 17 incher comes out, people will use it to find a way to install more than 4 gigs of ram in the 15, even if it involves altering some system files. From a hardware perspective, the two machines should be able to use up to 8gb of ram, so it's only a matter of time.

If you search around the forums, you'll find the MBP 2.53 ram thread.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

wait till they both are at the store then go try them out for a while, pick the one you have a shining too

10. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can use 6 GB of RAM on the 15" MBP:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

11. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

If you're not planning to buy the extra ram for three years (???), what's the point of thinking about it? In three years time, you'll have an out-of-date computer with the questionable consolation of being able to shove a couple of extra GB of ram in it. Doesn't sound like much of a selling point to me under those circumstances.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I personally would get the 15-inch model. This 15-inch MBP I have is plenty heavy enough when I put it in my bag, not to mention bulky enough. I wouldn't want one that's thicker and heavier. If you need extra memory, go to crucial.com and upgrade from whatever the LOWEST amount you can get from Apple is.

Since you can save about $800 if you get the low-end MBP, that's enough for one of those new LED displays. If you're a video editor (I assume that's what you mean. I'm also an "editor," but I edit copy), you probably won't do all that much editing while on a train or somewhere that you'd need the notebook only. I have a 20" screen about permanently hooked up to mine. It runs Photoshop and all the other CS3 stuff quite well, even with only 2GB of RAM -- and it's coming up on 2 years old.

So I'd suggest the $2000 model and then spend the other money on accessories.

13. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I bought the 15" 2.53ghz model and returned it. The higher resolution screen is definitely worth the extra money, size and weight to me.

14. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The main factor in your decision should be deciding on the form factor. Despite being the world's thinnest 17" notebook, the 17" MBP has a large footprint - so large that you might not want to take it with you all that much. Go to the Apple store and try both of them out before deciding. Feel it, hold it, etc.

16. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

What do you mean by "'officially' recognize"? It will show up on activity monitor etc. Apple won't admit it, but it works just fine.

17. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

That's what I mean. According to Apple, the 15" only supports 4gb, which means that it is not officially recognized. So, if you have a problem with it (a few problems have been encountered by pro app users, if I remember correctly...) you're S.O.L.

18. mstout macrumors member

If you write a ton on the computer, and you really need portability, the 17" is way wrong. If those things don't matter, take a deep breath and it'll be here.

19. iTony88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. As of right now, I am going with the 2.53 15" MBP. I thought about it, and read a lot of different opinions, and it seems like a better choice to go with the 15", for portability reasons, and just cause there isnt enough in the 17" to justify spending the extra money.

I probably wont buy it for another couple days, but unless someone convinces me otherwise, I am getting the 15"!!

Thanks again everyone!

20. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Either way you go, it's a good choice. I love my 15", and I'm sure you'll love yours. Good luck.