Dilemma About Buying iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GStreakT, Jul 22, 2008.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hi. I tried searching for a thread that had a similar problem like mine, but couldn't find it.

I've saved enough to buy me an iPhone but I head that Apple cut the iPhone's prices to lure customers who then only end up paying really hefty phone bills (I think it was 75$ a month but this without the text messaging plan). This is of course AT&T's price, but I use this really small unheard phone service called Cincinnati Bell and I end up paying 50$ a month with unlimited text. Is there a way to hack the iPhone by just buying it? Cincinatti Bell did come up with a scheme exclusively for iPhones but the price is just absurd. Please let me know.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

So you're wanting to buy an iPhone 3G but it sounds like you want to use it on a wireless plan that doesn't include data? Unless your $50 plan includes data, which would be amazing inexpensive if it does...

If that's the case, then the two new features of the iPhone 3G (3G data and GPS) aren't going to be used, so why not just get a used, older iPhone?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your $50 plan does not include unlimited 3G data transfers.

4. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

Heh, what do you mean by data? O, and I cannot access the internet. It's just calls and text. I might have to pay 10 or 20 dollars more to setup internet.

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

If you have an ATT family plan, iPhone plans under the main phone are only $30 for data, $10 for talk, and $5 for 200 SMS.

So, you could just open a family plan, get a basic, free phone on a $9.99 plan, and give it to your mom or something and then open up a second line using the rate I gave above.

Just a thought.

6. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

data = Internet

3G = the speed of the data connection ... 3G is the fastest. EDGE is the second fastest. GPRS is the slowest.

If you're not planning on using 3G data (I'm not even sure that Cincinnati Bell offers 3G data), then I'm not sure that it'd be work the hassle of trying to get the iPhone 3G.

It'd probably be less expensive and easier to get the original iPhone.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Get a 1st gen iphone, unlock it using iliberty or pwnage, get a t-mobile pay-as-you go card (which can used edge)($6.99 to start) and go from there.