Dilemma about D750

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Freida, Nov 27, 2016.

  1. Freida macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2010
    Hello guys,

    I'm not quite sure what to do here so I come here to get some feedback or sense from others, please.

    Few months back I was looking to get D750 but for various reasons I decided not to. So, my thinking until today was to wait till we get successor (D760 or so) and either get that or see how much D750 will drop and get that instead. Seeing that it might be just around corner (few months away) then I thought it was wise decision.

    However, today I went on NikonRumors.com only to find out this deal which sells brand new D750 for $1299 (plus tax) which is $1415 (£1135) according to my calculator. I live in UK but I"m flying to New York next weekend for a week so I suddenly got this temptation to buy it and have it send to my hotel, because the price is just very low. link http://www.ebay.com/itm/321566164162?rmvSB=true

    Now, brand new D750 from graysofwestminster is £1649 ($2055) but £1564 ($1950) after rebate which is massive difference to what the gray market offers from NikonRumors. However, I come from D90 and have only 50mm 1.4 FX lens so will probably need to get (or want to get) 24-70 2.8 Nikon lens (the non VR as people suggested its better, cheaper and lighter) so that will be a lot of money all together. Also, coming from D90 I might be familiar with most basic things but will not fully grasp it so my snapshooting in NYC will probably be a bit limited (maybe I'll stick to Aperture priority and leave most on default until I'll learn more later just to be on the safe side). After NYC I won't use the camera for few months so I could be easily waiting for the updated one.

    Here is my dilemma and here is what I"m confused and need help with.

    a) how safe is this gray market
    b) it has warranty etc., right?
    c) isn't it better to wait for the upgraded model that will most likely come out next year ( 6-9 months away)?
    d) is it really worth it?

    Am I just being spoilt here or the lust of a new toy is taking over because I'm impatient to wait and see what the successor will bring and I'm just being seduced by the low price?

    What would you do or what would your advice be, please?
  2. monokakata macrumors 68000


    May 8, 2008
    Hilo, Hawai'i
    The fine print says no manufacturer warranty, and 30 days from the seller.

    I wouldn't touch this one, Freida. It smells bad to me. Even the 30 days will do you no good when you're back in the UK.

    When you're in NY, take some time away from sightseeing and call around at B&H Photo Video and Adorama. These are two big, completely legit dealers in NYC. You might find something interesting.
  3. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2010
    I guess that solved it then. I overlooked that bit as I was told that gray market is still with warranty. Shame, it was tempting :)

    Thank you very much, I guess I'll try to see whats there on offer when I'm there but otherwise I'll wait for the successor :)
  4. kenoh macrumors demi-god


    Jul 18, 2008
    Glasgow, UK
    I think the value is too high to take the risk and small print just closes it down for me. Warranty from someone is not the same as Nikon themselves. Grey market lenses are one thing, bodies another all together.

    What about a refurb off the US Nikon site? get it shipped to your hotel?

    Also, I think a trip to B&H is mandatory...
  5. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2010
    You are right, I was under the wrong impression about the gray market so i thought it still had 1 year warranty.
    I never bought anything refurb as I was always worried it may be troublesome later (im sure im just paranoid here) and the savings on refurb vs new is in the end not that massive.
    I'll have a look in B&H I love that store. So cool with all those trolleys travelling above your head when you order something :)
  6. lizardofwoz, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

    lizardofwoz macrumors regular

    Aug 9, 2012
    Waiting for new, upgraded, improved models of cameras and computers is an endless journey of hope against practicality.

    If you fall into that trap you will never actually make the purchase... there will always be another, better device on the way, and you will never make the move.

    Take a good look at your current dream... the Nikon 750. Will it do all the things that you want; does it have all the delights and features you could possibly use; What improvements could Nikon possibly make to a camera that already has universal acclaim from its users, and would those changes improve your photography?

    In the meantime just think about all the missed photographic opportunities that are passing you by...
  7. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 22, 2010
    You are right, with that theory and I agree with you there. However, would you buy iPhone 7 in june 2017 when update is likely to come in 3 months? Probably not unless you really needed it, right? Well, thats my case here. I never buy things so late in the cycle and so close to an update as I'm one of those customers that are really price concious. I came here because I've found a "great" deal which made me reevaluate my position and I just wanted to ask for opinions which made me realise that that deal is way too risky for my situation and it solved the dilemma for me.

    Yes, D750 is and has been my dream since early this year as some users here might recall. However, I can't really recall missed opportunities. The only time that I actually suffered was when I went to shoot and took my D90 + 50mm 1,4 lens (and actually the only lens) and found that that this particular combination is troublesome as it has some blur issues which ruined some of my photos (if i knew about that problem I would have picked different lens) but that is really not a problem with my current camera, just the combo was unfortunate which users here told me about afterwards.
    Regardless, I don't know about anything missed as I haven't had the experience with better gear so right now my limited knowledge is actually good here (ignorance is a bliss :D :D :D ) so from my perspective my limitations with my current D90 are: low light (thats what I notice the most when it gets darker and the camera is out of depth) and sometimes the focus is slow. Thats all I know for now. Yes, I'm sure I will be blown away with the possibilities of D750 but for now I only read the reviews that praise the crap out of it. :)))
    $1800 + tax is not something I wanna pay now few months before possible update especially since I've been waiting so long :)
    Once the successor is out I will see what I want. Either I'll go and get D750 which I'm sure will drop in price or I will get the successor.

    However, if I find a good deal in B&H in NYC then I have no problem buying it now. All I really want is D750 + 24-70 2.8 (non VR as users here adviced me to) so if I get a good deal on these two then I'll be coming home from NYC with that setup :)

    Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you said but I think it makes sense to either find a good deal OR wait it out. I'm in no rush as D90 still works great and its like brand new as I've looked after it really well. (only took 11k photos but to be fair last 2 years were probably half of that as I picked up more and more snapshooting :) )

Share This Page