Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The Air does not have a Retina display. The Air looks terrible compared to a Retina display. In this day and age, buying a laptop with a display of that resolution is silly and you're bound to be sick of it in less than a year. It's an eye sore.
Of course the Air doesn't have a retina display. But the hyperbole and melodrama that you use to describe the quality of the Air's screen is worthy of a hyperbolic response.

There are people on this forum who claim to be able spot individual pixels on a retina display. When Steve Jobs first presented the retina display he said that it was called "retina" because it contained a pixel density that was GREATER than the human eye's ability to discern individual pixels. If a person CAN discern individual pixels on that display then, by definition, they must have superhuman (or extra-human) vision.

For average people with average vision, the Air's screen is fine. So if you claim that the Air's screen is a pixelated abomination then it is reasonable conclude that you are one of those people with superhuman vision.

Not everyone who reads these forums is knowledgeable about Apple's products. I've seen far too many non-techies be pushed away from buying a Macbook Air because of the melodrama stirred up regarding their screens. They missed out on great sales on a great device.

Don't worry. The Air's days are numbered. The 13" Air will probably be discontinued before the year is out and then those with ultravision will no longer be insulted that a device so unworthy of their visual prowess exists.

So we all should settle and be content with less. :confused:. More than 50% of humanity is also below the poverty line, so what?
Did someone say that YOU must settle? If you don't like the Macbook Air, then don't buy it. Why dissuade others who want one from buying one?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
There are people on this forum who claim to be able spot individual pixels on a retina display. When Steve Jobs first presented the retina display he said that it was called "retina" because it contained a pixel density that was GREATER than the human eye's ability to discern individual pixels. If a person CAN discern individual pixels on that display then, by definition, they must have superhuman (or extra-human) vision.

Hey now, I am no super human. But if you're sitting close enough to the rMBP screen, you can see pixels. Particular on icons in the menu bar. I believe what Steve Jobs was half marketing spiel and the other actually meant when sat a regular distance away from the screen.

Reactions: villicodelirant

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
So the MBA's display is hardly a piece of garbage by current standards, and I'd guess it's mostly you who have an actual problem with it, whereas OP should be able to be productive with it.
I don't have a problem with the MBA display and if I didn't give my MBA to my son, I'd still be using it.

However, after using the rMB for a while, when I went back to use my old MBA, the display really looked bad. It is not just the pixel density but the washed out colours, the colour gamut (or lack of it) and the colour balance. I've always calibrated the display on all my 3 MBAs that I've owned over the years but there is so much you can do with it.

I have two Sony Vaio 11" models from 2007 and 2008 which I still use them for backup and testing. Despite being old and non retina, their displays make the MBA display look like garbage. Don't defend the MBA displays to me. I know them very well and I've lived with them for 7 years.

Last edited:

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I really like my MBA, and the screen is not a problem for me. The biggest disadvantage with the screen is the narrow viewing angles from the TN display. This is really not that big of a deal on a laptop, since you can adjust the viewing angle pretty easily be moving the screen with the hinge or how it sits on your lap.

Of course, many people use their laptops with an external monitor when they are at their desks....and, you might want to invest in a decent IPS display for this purpose. Wide viewing angles are more important on a stationary external desktop monitor....less important on a portable laptop.

Reactions: organic bond

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
MBA for sure.

Faster, real processor, better battery life, mag safe, more ports etc.

Main reason being that 12 inches is too small for me to get work done. One inch doesn't seem like much but in practice it really is.

To this day if they ever updated the screen on MBA it would be the best all around computer you could buy.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
I don't have a problem with the MBA display and if I didn't give my MBA to my son, I'd still be using it.

However, after using the rMB for a while, when I went back to use my old MBA, the display really looked bad. It is not just the pixel density but the washed out colours, the colour gamut (or lack of it) and the colour balance. I've always calibrated the display on all my 3 MBAs that I've owned over the years but there is so much you can do with it.

Oh, in fact that's probably a good point assuming OP does photography or graphics.
The difference is night and day.

I always tend to assume people stare at text, though, and in that respect the MBA is as good as any other machine.

Reactions: bingeciren

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Ask the same question on the MacBook section and see what response you get there....

I wouldn't get the MBA

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area
Totally depends on what you're doing with it, but - fwiw, I've had a rMB for over a year and I love it. Is it the perfect computer? No. But it does what it does pretty well. I originally got it as a light portable computer, as my main laptop is a maxed out desktop replacement dell, and is 7 pounds. It is extremely fast, and does everything I throw at it very well, but it's damned heavy, and the fans are loud and near-constant. The macbook allows me to have a much smaller backpack, and much better mobile experience. I was surprised to find that I was actually able to get a lot of real work done on it and, for the last ~ 6 months, I've been using it as a daily driver - plugged into a 27" monitor and external keyboard ~ 80% of the time, and then in a bag for quick travel. My daily use is to have a word doc + code editor + ~ 30 tabs open in browser + light excel work, and it does all of this very well. It handles light photoshop work just fine. It bogs when I get into large excel files and heavy PS work - but that's not surprising. I'm more surprised by what it DOES do than what it doesn't. Overall, I'm Extremely happy with it. The keyboard, definitely takes some getting used to. It's not my favorite, that's for sure. But it works...and works fine after some practice. I couldn't find another lightweight ultrabook that did what it did as nicely, with as good of a tactile experience as this one. If you had the $, I would say upgrade to a 13" Macbook Pro, and have best of all worlds. But - if choice is Air vs. rMB - for me, it's rMB all day, every day.

Just an opinion, and happy to answer any questions. Either way - hope you get a computer you love!

Reactions: Jayderek

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Just an opinion, and happy to answer any questions.
You have very nicely summarized my exact sentiments and opinion about my rMB. Just out of curiosity what are the specs of your rMB?

I have the 2016, 1.3GHz m7, this is the maxed out model. I don't know if there is a tangible difference compared to a lower spec'd model, say a 1.1GHz m3.

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area
You have very nicely summarized my exact sentiments and opinion about my rMB. Just out of curiosity what are the specs of your rMB?

I have the 2016, 1.3GHz m7, this is the maxed out model. I don't know if there is a tangible difference compared to a lower spec'd model, say a 1.1GHz m3.

Yes, I have the 1.3GHz 2015 model. Was the maxed out at the time. I had always wondered if the 1.1 would be significantly slower, and waffled a bit in the decision between the two specs. I generally try to get computers as well-specced as possible, however, for future-proofing purposes, and this little machine has surpassed my expectations in almost ever way. I use an ipad air 2 with Duet Display as a secondary display when on the road, and I've got an extremely light-weight, extremely capable mobile setup. I couldn't be happier. If I could trade up to a new Macbook Pro at zero cost - well yeah, obviously I would do that. But the choice between an Air and the rMB is, to me - no choice at all.

organic bond

Cancelled
May 5, 2007
Last year I bought the rMB 1.3 2015. Returned it after 4 days, poor performance and poor battery life. And the screen is too small, I agree with mellofello that's it's just one inch, but it does matter. The rMB is a jewel, it's super light and has a great screen, but I bought another MBA, of course 2015, and am happy with that, I have zero problems with its screen. That was last year though.

And that's just my experience, nothing less and nothing more. Other people have different tastes and needs. Which one to buy now? I don't know, if you can, try them out.

mdbradigan

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
Nashville, TN area
Yeah, don't disagree that screen size takes some getting used to. The resolution helps, but there's no denying that it's small. That was kind of the idea for me - ultralight portable fully-functional computer. Personally, dollars for donuts - if the choice is the same $ - I'd be choosing the MBP all day (and this is coming from a guy who loves his rMB)

upload_2017-1-19_9-3-39.png

Reactions: villicodelirant

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, don't disagree that screen size takes some getting used to. The resolution helps, but there's no denying that it's small. That was kind of the idea for me - ultralight portable fully-functional computer. Personally, dollars for donuts - if the choice is the same $ - I'd be choosing the MBP all day (and this is coming from a guy who loves his rMB)

View attachment 684436
He he he, coming from the 11" MBA, I felt the opposite. 12" seemed nice and large.:D The new 13" MPP is also very nice and weighs less compared to the previous generation.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Personally I think you should wait around 2 months for the Kaby Lake MacBook refresh if you can. At that point it will be a better competitor with the MacBook Air in performance and the price will likely go down. But really it depends on your use case and the ports you need.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Bought a 13" i5 about 4 months ago as a mobile computer for the household with iMac and Mac Mini. The display is fine for the purpose, no heavy video or photo editing tasks, and it's basically a device for use when an iPad and its OS just gets in the way. I understand that Apple has not renewed vendor contracts for MBA parts and that's the sure signal for the end of the line, but given the performance level and form factor, I don't see it going "obsolete" for awhile.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I always tend to assume people stare at text, though, and in that respect the MBA is as good as any other machine.

I'd have to disagree with that. I think the clarity of text on a retina display is much easier for reading or working with text.
[doublepost=1485829797][/doublepost]
I have two Sony Vaio 11" models from 2007 and 2008 which I still use them for backup and testing. Despite being old and non retina, their displays make the MBA display look like garbage. Don't defend the MBA displays to me. I know them very well and I've lived with them for 7 years.

Yea that's pretty bad. My 2011 $250 bargain bin Dell laptop has a better display than the MBA.

It's not that I don't like the Air. In fact, it is my favorite Apple notebook of all time except for the display. It's not even on par with displays from several years ago, let alone 2017 competition.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I do this debate to myself almost weekly. lol I use a mid 2012 Air and it works great for me. Has everything I need and more. I am constantly tempted by a MB or MBP. But each time I remind myself for what? In my case I use my laptop 85% in clamshell mode. So the updated screen isn't worth it. Then I think about the jump to USB C and more adapters. Ugh...naw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.