Dilemma: Big Decision - 3GS or not?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Hey All!

Before anyone starts complaining about me opening a new thread for the ''get it or not'' theme... I just want to highlight that i opened it so that i explain my case, and you guyz will help me out... :eek:

so, here's the thing... i've owned the 1st gen iPod touch since its release, and used it for more than a year but early this year it got stolen!:mad:

a week passed and no sign of it... i started thinking about considering an iPhone, (its not that easy to get it here in Lebanon) (btw, the AppStore is officially available here, but not the iPhone! :confused: )

and so it began... from February I followed iphone news like hell!! and got all exited about the 3GS! it would be an amazing upgrade from a 1st gen iPod touch... (and after 6 (that's SIX) frickin LONG ipod-less months)

So, Apple is releasing it in more than 80 countries but NOT in Lebanon! I was so pissed!

I was even more pissed that it would be released in Venezuela (on august 9th), AND im traveling there for a month... from June 27th to July 26th!!! so I won't be able to get it myself!

but i found a loophole... my aunt is coming from venezuela on august 19th (the iphone would have been released by then)

HERE's the dilemma: what if my aunt gets me the iPhone and I start experiencing all those bad things w/ it, that everyone is reporting...
    the 15-Khz tone... the heating... the discoloration... the bad battery...

im saying so, because there are no Apple Stores here in Lebanon... so i cant get authorized replacements or something... and there's no one i know going or comin from venezuela so that i can send the iphone for a replacement... :S

one last thing... my budget is almost exact for the purchase, so its a no-go for 'buy and sell it on ebay' or 'buy 3g now, and get the 3gs when they sort things out'....

P.S. sorry for the really long thread, but it's necessary so that my case is fully understood. and Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait for the next one. Or at least until some resolution of these issues.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Good question ;)

5. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Because I put it there since wwdc when they announced it.. (like everyone did)... but i tried to write "soon" before it or after it... but the signature won't work because it'll be more than the allowed number of characters...:eek:

AND, i thought it was gonna be easy and quick for me to get it! :(

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Only you can decide what is best for you.

Personally, I would not get any product where there is concern on how I would have it fixed if something were wrong.

You seemed to like your iPod touch. New one should be out in September-October. Maybe wait and see what is offered, then make your decision.

For many, it seems that the iPhone 3GS is working fine. Of course any issues will be fixed in time.

Curious. Probably dreaming. :)

7. inf macrumors 6502

inf

In this case you're on your own dude. Apple doesn't have worldwide warranty for iPhone. So you have to return it to Venezuela to get it replaced/serviced.

8. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Loved it!! :(
    bout september... good idea... but if i decide to wait till then, i think Apple would've done something in respect to the 3gs.. right?

YEP! lol...:)

9. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

exactly!! that's what's sickening me! WHY the F*** is Lebanon left out?!

10. Reiger macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 3GS from Italy, but I live in the Netherlands. So I took a chance and I think the 3GS is perfect.

I upgraded from a 3G. The 3GS is absolutely brilliant. It's fast, I mean really really fast. You will experience that too coming from an iPod touch. The build quality is much better than the 3G. There are no cracks, no lightleaks, no dust behind the glass, the glass is perfectly leveled. In short, mine is flawless and most are reading through this and other forums.

Look, there is always a chance you will get a lemon. But in my opinion the chance is really low with an iPhone 3GS. I think that other Macrumors veterans (I primarily read) will agree, that there are fewer complaints about the 3GS than either the 2G or the 3G.

So, don't worry and just buy the 3GS. You'll love it :D

11. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would imagine that the new iPod touch will be a nice improvement.

Currently there is much speculation. I think that it is safe to say that it will come in 32GB and 64GB models. They may still offer a 16GB version. It will probably have more RAM memory, bigger Cache and a faster processor.

Some say we will see the following
    • Camera
    • Compass

One thing that I like the touch over the iPhone is the thinness. Plus there is no monthly fee.

One thing that I like the iPhone over the touch are the additional features/capabilities. Plus Internet access everywhere you have cell phone reception.

Both have their pros and cons -- and cost factors.

13. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I'd say wait for the the 3rd gen iPod Touch. It might have a camera, compass, faster processor and everything. But, the metal back will dissipate heat better. ;)

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

How do you know that it will have a camera and a compass?

Or are you just speculating?

15. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Well, I read the articles about the new case designs and the iLounge mockups. It seems like a logical way for Apple to progress the iPod line if they want to get users to upgrade their iPods.

So I am speculating, but I think it might not be a terrible aberration from the actual outcome. ;)

In any case, iPods will continue to have metal backs (hopefully), so heat dissipation will not be an issue. :cool:

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I see.

Understand about speculating. I too have my own beliefs as to what we will see based upon my experience and what I've read.

However, I think that it is important to indicate when one is speculating and when one is stating something they know to be fact.

Many times, rumors feed upon rumors -- this is especially true when we want something to happen.

Anyhow, I'm not disagreeing with your speculation. I just wanted to clarify if you knew something to be fact or not. :)

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The real world issues are few and far between. I know a lot of people who had 3G replacements, but I don't know anyone with a 3GS who has had it replaced yet.

Stop salivating over all the online fault hysteria and buy a ruddy iPhone!

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There definitely is a lot of that.

Usually you never hear about folks who have no issues. We only hear of those who do have issues on MR it seems.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Heres my rant.
    I have the 3g and 3gs. I used the 3gs for a week and boxed it back up and went back to my jail broken3g.
    I noticed that both phones run equally as warm, the 3g seems to run warmer with 3.0 on it.
    As far as crooked buttons open the box and have whoever is getting it for you inspect it for loose or crooked buttons. I don't understand why some complain about defects when the phones can be exchanged.
    Either way you may get a defective phone with rev 0 or rev 10.
    You can wait and wait or you can enjoy