Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Bought a 6 plus off eBay as a "broken item" with "no returns nor refunds" as orthodox with a cracked phone. I bought it with an iCloud account linked to it as I planned to bypass this (turns out I cannot). The previous owners iCloud was still linked. I got their email, and kindly emailed them (as well as one of the previous owners friends) to "please remove the account from this iPhone". A few days passed, got a response from the owners friend. I asked her to pass on my name and phone number to the owner (since the owner wasn't responding) Got a call a few minutes later from the owner stating that the iPhone was boxed up and sent to AT&T to be returned but it was stolen (theoretically). She wants me to return the iPhone to AT&T. AT&T has already blacklisted the IMEI. She said that she "most definitely" will not refund me and that I have to suck it up basically. Is there any way I can NOT shell out my money and just give the phone to AT&T and lose my money?

Any input is appreciated.

And yeah yeah, "you shouldn't have purchased an iCloud locked device". I have purchased hundreds of iCloud locked iPhones and this has never happened.

Thanks for any input! :)

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Dilemma; Bought a stolen device

As far as I can tell, there's no way to bypass the iCloud activation lock, because Apple designed it to deter thieves.

If the item wasn't described on eBay as iCloud locked, you might reasonably have a dispute with the eBay seller. If the iPhone condition and lock was disclosed prior to completion of sale, I think your only option is to throw the phone in the trash as it is basically bricked now.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Bought a 6 plus off eBay as a "broken item" with "no returns nor refunds" as orthodox with a cracked phone. I bought it with an iCloud account linked to it as I planned to bypass this (turns out I cannot). The previous owners iCloud was still linked. I got their email, and kindly emailed them (as well as one of the previous owners friends) to "please remove the account from this iPhone". A few days passed, got a response from the owners friend. I asked her to pass on my name and phone number to the owner (since the owner wasn't responding) Got a call a few minutes later from the owner stating that the iPhone was boxed up and sent to AT&T to be returned but it was stolen (theoretically). She wants me to return the iPhone to AT&T. AT&T has already blacklisted the IMEI. She said that she "most definitely" will not refund me and that I have to suck it up basically. Is there any way I can NOT shell out my money and just give the phone to AT&T and lose my money?

Any input is appreciated.

And yeah yeah, "you shouldn't have purchased an iCloud locked device". I have purchased hundreds of iCloud locked iPhones and this has never happened.

Thanks for any input! :)

I really hate to say it, but your best option would be to just return the phone to AT&T. Let the original owner have their iPhone back. I know I would absolutely hate it is I lost my phone and I found out it was sold On eBay by someone.

That said you should be able to open a case with eBay and see what they do about it. There is buyers protection although in my experience eBay has sided with the seller quite a bit.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
As far as I can tell, there's no way to bypass the iCloud activation lock, because Apple designed it to deter thieves.

If the item wasn't described on eBay as iCloud locked, you might reasonably have a dispute with the eBay seller. If the iPhone condition and lock was disclosed prior to completion of sale, I think your only option is to throw the phone in the trash as it is basically bricked now.
Thanks for the input. iCloud lock can be bypassed, just so happens that this one was one the latest iOS so it isn't bypassable (yet).
I really hate to say it, but your best option would be to just return the phone to AT&T. Let the original owner have their iPhone back. I know I would absolutely hate it is I lost my phone and I found out it was sold On eBay by someone.

That said you should be able to open a case with eBay and see what they do about it. There is buyers protection although in my experience eBay has sided with the seller quite a bit.
That's the thing, the original owner doesn't want the phone back. The owner dropped it, and bought a new one. Sent this one back to AT&T. She doesn't want this iPhone returned to her...If the seller doesn't respond in a few days I'll open a case. I had no idea I was buying a stolen device. That was not in the description.

Also, eBay usually sides with the buyers as I have experienced.

THanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah this discussion about locked devices and "bypassible" iCloud locks is going to go places.

Sounds like not buying hundreds of locked devices (which are either lost or stolen) and thus not supporting those who are selling something that doesn't appear to belong to them in the first place would be the solution to it all.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I bought it with an iCloud account linked to it as I planned to bypass this (turns out I cannot). The previous owners iCloud was still linked.

If the seller got the phone in any legitimate way why would it be iCloud locked?

Sounds like you knew you were getting a device that was not the seller's to sell, along with "hundreds" of others.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
If the seller got the phone in any legitimate way why would it be iCloud locked?

Sounds like you knew you were getting a device that was not the seller's to sell, along with "hundreds" of others.
Not literally iCloud locked, (sorry if is misused that term) I meant to say linked to iCloud. Many times the owners press "reset all settings" instead of "erase all contents and settings" thusly, Find my iPhone is not disabled and once sold, phone has the account linked to it and find my iPhone enabled and so it cannot be used and most of the time contacting the owner is a fruitless effort.

Also places like AT&T and T-Mobile, even Apple themselves sell locked/broken/damaged iPhones to certain recyclers or resellers. (not apple in this case)

Please don't thread crap, I'm looking for some help.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Not literally iCloud locked, (sorry if is misused that term) I meant to say linked to iCloud. Many times the owners press "reset all settings" instead of "erase all contents and settings" thusly, Find my iPhone is not disabled and once sold, phone has the account linked to it and find my iPhone enabled and so it cannot be used and most of the time contacting the owner is a fruitless effort.

Also places like AT&T and T-Mobile, even Apple themselves sell locked/broken/damaged iPhones to certain recyclers or resellers. (not apple in this case)

Please don't thread crap, I'm looking for some help.

How is clarifying what you said "thread crapping"? You bought a device that you knew was locked. If it belonged to the seller why would they sell it was locked?

Call it what you want, but it sounds like your luck of buying "locked" (possibly stolen) devices ran out this time.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Got a call a few minutes later from the owner stating that the iPhone was boxed up and sent to AT&T to be returned but it was stolen (theoretically). She wants me to return the iPhone to AT&T. AT&T has already blacklisted the IMEI. She said that she "most definitely" will not refund me and that I have to suck it up basically. Is there any way I can NOT shell out my money and just give the phone to AT&T and lose my money?

Wait, let me make sure I understand you correctly. She had her phone nicked and you expected her to reimburse you? Seriously? If it was me on the other end of the phone I would have said, 'Sure, give me your address and I'll send you a cheque', called the police and had you done for dealing in stolen goods.

Sorry for crapping on your thread and the tone of my post, but you're part of the problem. You admit to buying hundreds of phones and you can't tell me a decent proportion of those weren't stolen. So you're either knowingly dealing in stolen goods (looking the other way does not absolve you) or incredibly naive.

I'm guessing you would prefer to admit to being naive but when stolen goods are confiscated from the unknowing they do not get compensated.

Thank goodness Apple's new iCloud security is going to cause a reduction in these cases, as you have found out.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
What was your hope for this thread? Did you think people would tell you that it was ok to keep a phone that even you have said was stolen?

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Why would the owner refund you? That I do not get. If it helps, I think eBay may side with you in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.