Dilemma - But rMB, Sell MPB & iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleRocks2011, Sep 13, 2015.

1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Hi there! I've got a dilemma that I've been considering for a while. I've started a new job which involves travel. I also edit a few videos, use photoshop and upload to YouTube. However, most of these projects are simple.

My Retina MacBook Pro is awesome, just a bit big to take around the airport/hotels. I've also got an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 Plus. I think I've got too many things, and I feel like my system is clunky.

What I'd like to do is get rid of the iPad, as I don't use it, sell my rMBP and get the new 2015 MacBook. I'm just worried that the MacBook is too slow. However, I feel that it could help my productivity.

I just want to know - 2015 MacBook users - what is the performance truly like?

Thanks in advance!

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I think the best analogy is of an entry level 3-4 year old MBA or MBP

3. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

lol no

I would stick with your MPB. I say just get rid of the iPad. iPhone 6+ + laptop is an ideal set up

4. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Get the RMB and don't look back. I travel extensively and use it for the very things you are describing and it is very fast and extremely responsive.

And never forget, you can take it for a trial run; Apple has a two week return policy. Pick one up tomorrow, load it up and give it a try. I think you'll be very impressed.

BJ

5. AppleRocks2011 thread starter macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

I guess you're right! Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

6. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I second this. I bought a rMB to supplement my rMBP and replace my iPad. What I've found is it has replaced my rMB almost entirely. The iPad, not so much, though all I use that for is watching videos and very light web browsing.

I only pull out my rMBP when I'm doing video editing and want to get it done quickly, or if I want more screen real estate (I have an external monitor too, but the 15" retina display is just so nice if I'm doing anything intricate). The rMB does video editing just fine, but it takes a little longer to export.

Otherwise, my use case is identical to yours and the rMB totally handles it with no issues. I plan on selling my rMBP and just using the rMB.

7. Macalway, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68020

Tough one. I have both and of course refer to the rMBP as "My really nice rMBP", so that sort of makes things a bit difficult. :D

Initially, I thought no way was I going to sell the MBP, but I'm not using it so much any more, so sooner or later I'm going to want to sell it to someone who will at least use it. Then again, i'm not ready for that, so who knows

Big help I am :D

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say based on your usage, a rMBP is a better option, While I don't travel much I'd rather take my rMBP because its a bit more powerful.

Just my $.02

9. pjfan macrumors regular

You got a couple replies from rMB users, per your request -- did you buy? If so, how are you liking your Travel & Performance?

10. jaaf macrumors newbie

My 2 cents is that since I bought my rMB, I have barely touched my iPad. A phone + rMB is the perfect setup for me, but I mostly work with office, email and web browsing.

11. AppleRocks2011 thread starter macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Hey - sorry for the late response. No, I didn't end up buying. I played with the new Macbook in the Apple store. I created a workflow that I would usually have open; Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Safari and Pages, all open, all working. The Macbook couldn't handle it.

What I've decided to do is sell my iPad and iPhone 6 Plus. I am keeping my Macbook Pro with Retina Display, and I've just bought an iPhone 6S Plus. So far, this workflow is amazing!

Thank you so much for your input!