Dilemma: Est. delivery date for MBP Dec 4. too close to Jan. update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by powerchord, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. powerchord macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #1
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGHHHH!
    After three months of researching and waiting for the best time to buy a MBP, I finally took the plunge last night and ordered a 2.2, 200GB MBP. I then saw that the est. delivery date is Dec. 4. I slept on it and was nervous all day today, thinking, "Maybe I should wait for a January update?"

    As I explained on an earlier post, I am a grad student who will be leaving the country to do research in Eastern Europe sometime this spring (March/April). In terms of absolute need, I could use the MBP now, but it won't be life or death for me to wait until Jan., especially since I would have to wait until Dec. 4 anyway.

    My question to you all is, if you were in my position and were poised to leaving the country soon, would you wait for a MBP update in Jan. with all its potential new-kinks or would you buy now--with a December delivery--and live with it?

    I am new to the world of Apple and I would like to have some time to familiarize myself with the machine and OS before I leave. Assuming there is an update in Jan., what is the probability of it shipping out the same month? I think receiving it in Feb/March may be cutting it too close for comfort.

    I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.
     
  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    If you can wait, then do so. Be prepared to order as soon as new models are announced.

    If you want time to get used to your new Mac, get it now. It won't be out of date the minute a new product is released.
     
  3. mpr131 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    Also, there is no guarantee that MBPs will be updated in January
     
  4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

    MarlboroLite

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    the 13 colonies
    #4
    hmmm

    well as the poster above said, there is no guarantee of an update...though I think the probability of an update it is higher than not...but obviously you don't know anything with Apple until it happens.

    Now, assuming there will be an update...if I recall correctly the last major one in January 2006 to the Intel chips the computers were not going to ship until February and then Apple delayed the shipments until early-mid March. So you're playing roulette here. Yeah it's always nice to wait if you can and get the latest and greatest, but if your need vs. want doesn't add up time-wise, then really it's just a crap shoot....you might get lucky if Apple starts shipping in January or February or you may get stuck without a computer until March.

    If I was in your situation I would probably wait till January and see what happens, at the end of the day it's only a month's wait....if they don't update well then you can always still buy a current model, if they do and the shipping comes to close to your departure date well then you're still getting a brand new updated computer and your learning curve will just have to move faster.
     
  5. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    right where I am
    #5
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure on what to do, but your reasoning is sound. I may end up waiting after all. You know I really appreciate this site and I'm glad that a total newbie such as me can make a more informed decision when making a big purchase like the MBP, but man, I think I've become more neurotic and paranoid about everything now!

    "Do I buy now?"
    "Or should I wait for an update?"
    "How soon will the updates be?"
    "Will I get a new one in time before I leave?"
    "Will that give me enough time to learn the techno-spac-tacular world of Apple OS?"
    "If I buy now will I get a screen with yellowing issues?"
    "... or a hard drive with issues?"
    "Should I just stick with a Windows laptop?"

    ... and on, and on, and on.

    Oh the horror!
    :eek:

    If Woody would have gone to the police, none of this would ever have happened!
     

Share This Page