Dilemma: Get 2 Free iPhones or Wait for New Version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cxny, May 4, 2009.

1. cxny macrumors 6502

My brother is willing to give me two 16 Gig White 3G iPhones if I take over about a year of his ATT contract 'cause he's moving to Canada. However now I see it's probably only a month until video comes to iPhone 3.0. What to do? I'm assuming entry level will be $299.00 with 2 year contract.

If I take over his contract where do I stand in a year? Can I get new iPhones at that point as I'll be an existing customer? Right now I'm w/ T-Mobile with no contract so my options are wide open. One last factor is I will be adding a third iPhone for my son so in many ways it seems like starting from scratch with the newest version is the way to go. (Except the $900.00 entry fee!) Alternatively two free phones and a $99.00 refurb sounds good too.

Any opinions appreciated.

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I would take it. A backup is always great! If you don't need an extra, think of me! :D But seriously, two 16GB 3Gs will most likely be better than one of whatever comes (if it does).

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The new iphones will undoubtedly have tons of new features, but don't forget that the current gen of handsets can be upgraded to 3.0 software, taking advantage of push, etc. If rumored hardware changes like wireless-n, etc are important, than wait. But two free handsets and a 1-year contract (iphone users can upgrade once their contracts have expired) sounds like an amazing deal to me.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

How about

You could assume to responsibility for your brothers account/two phones and then add a 3rd line on the family plan when the new iPhone is released. Of course you would be the person getting the new iPhone while the son and wife/girlfriend would be using the two 16GB phones left behind by your brother.

Then what you have is a happy iPhone family :)

5. cxny thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually needing three phones for the whole family so I won't have a back-up. My issue is more about taking over the contract and the limitations of upgrading when the contract is over.

6. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I love how you know he has a son but still say wife/girlfriend instead of just wife. :D

Never mind then.

7. cxny thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the 15 year old son will demand the gen 3.0 phone and it will also probably be his Birthday present. And I'd rather leave the girlfriend out of the discussion! hehe

8. english06 macrumors member

Take the 2 16gb iPhones and give them to you and your "wife/girlfriend". Then in June give your son your old iPhone and go grab the new iPhone 3.0. When your son whines just tell him about responsibility and crap like that.

With this plan, nothing can go wrong!

9. cxny thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like a plan, but if I add one new phone won't ATT make me start a new 2 year contract at that time? If so I'll have to wait 2 years for a video phone (assuming the son wins the new one).

10. english06 macrumors member

The new iPhone is "rumored" to be capable of video. Whether not you get the new iPhone or your son does it will be under the 2 year contract.

11. cxny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but will it be two years for all three phones or could the older ones be upgraded in a year?

12. english06 macrumors member

The older ones would be upgradable in a year. The new 3.0 would be 20 months-ish before an update is available.

13. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Why doesn't your brother just cancel the accounts and sell both phones for around $800 and use that to pay the ETF, or you take over the account and do the same. It's a win win situation for you or your brother.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There is no evidence that there will be a new iPhone this year. You would be stupid not to take the offer. And as has already been mentioned, you could sell both of them on the off (and slim) chance Apple releases a new iPhone in 2009.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

15 year old demanding?? I would give him one of the used ones and you get the new one (if it comes out).

16. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I don't quite understand why the son must get the new one. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 17, and at that point I was happy with my qualcomm flip phone. A 16gig iPhone 3G is much more than a kid will need anyway.

BUT, if you are that much of a pushover, the iPhone 3G will most likely have all the video function come the 3.0 update. As it has been said, while a new iPhone is likely, it isn't for sure.

17. jalpert macrumors 6502

AT&T has a $175 early termination fee per line. Take the phones and pay him $350 to cancel his contract. Sell the phones, I believe $350 is the going rate for a single phone right now, it would be hard to loose money on this.

Edit: Yah, what aok said...

18. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

19. cxny thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, Here's the Plan...

Hey what can I say? He's a spoiled NYC teenager! He's actually really not that spoiled ('cause I'm poor!) but kids these days do expect waaaay more than we did as teens.

Thanks for all your suggestions, turns out my Bros phones even have extended warranties so I'd be stoopid not to take them. Son will probably get a refub that way I can get it for his birthday in two weeks. When I'm eligible for an update I'll treat self to whatever is current if it's looking good and sell the bros. phone which will still be under warranty.