Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyclone Chris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I currently have 2 iPhone 3G lines with ATT, and will not be upgrade eligible till December for the 3GS.

I have recently sold my iPod Touch 1 Gen 16 Gig for $150. And have been debating about getting the 2nd Gen ipod touch or just go ahead and add another line with ATT and get the 3GS.

I mainly wanted to get the 2nd Gen ipod for the Nike+ capability whenever I run on the threadmill. Now since the 3GS has the Nike + capability, should I just get that and swap out my current 3G iPhone with a normal phone and pay the $9.99 for an additional line?

I would basically make my current iPhone 3G my workout ipod without cell service, and have a new 3GS as my daily phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Why don't you just sell your 3G (should be able to get about $300+ for it) and pay the early upgrade price ($399/499) for the 3GS?

I don't see why you'd add a new line to your account if you don't have someone that will be using the line. Adding a new line would mean you'd get the $199/299 price, but then you'd also have to pay for a month's service ($39.99 for line & data + taxes and any prorated fees) and then the $175 ETF to cancel the line after the first 30 days. Which is at least $420/520. You wouldn't save much, if any. + hassle.

Cyclone Chris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Well, I would like to add a backup iPhone, just incase I ever broke one. And since I'm in the Military, I would like to unlock one iPhone, so I can use it whenever I travel or deploy to a different country.

Can't I just go to ATT today and get a new 3GS for 199/299 as a new line of service. Swap my current iphone 3G to a regular POS phone with only voice where I would only pay the $9.99/month?

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Can't I just go to ATT today and get a new 3GS for 199/299 as a new line of service. Swap my current iphone 3G to a regular POS phone with only voice where I would only pay the $9.99/month?

they might give you a hard time dropping the data plan on the old iPhone...just a warning

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I still don't know why you'd pay $10/month + taxes on a line just to keep a backup phone ($120 per year). Plus this is assuming they let you take the data plan off. iPhone lines are required to have data, and there for it would really be $40/month + taxes or $500/year!!!

You can keep a backup phone without it having service, you just pass the sim card in/out of the two. The best bet is to just pay the early upgrade price and extend your contract, or pay the no-commitment price and don't extend your contract. Then just keep the old 3G as a backup.

Cyclone Chris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I still don't know why you'd pay $10/month + taxes on a line just to keep a backup phone ($120 per year). Plus this is assuming they let you take the data plan off. iPhone lines are required to have data, and there for it would really be $40/month + taxes or $500/year!!!

You can keep a backup phone without it having service, you just pass the sim card in/out of the two. The best bet is to just pay the early upgrade price and extend your contract, or pay the no-commitment price and don't extend your contract. Then just keep the old 3G as a backup.

Well the way I look at it, I may have a few options... not sure which route to take.

Option A.
Well the way I look at it, I can pay the $9.99 / month for an additional line (by replacing my 3G with an old GSM phone I have Moto V60)

Option B.
I can add another line to my account, get the 3GS for 199/299, then cancel the contract with 11 months remaining which should cost $110 to terminate. (I believe ATT drops the EFT by $5 for ever month of service you had with them.)

Option C.
The hell with the new 3GS. I'll just get me the ipod Touch 2G to replace my touch 1G.

Option D.
Keep the $150 I made by selling my 16 Gig ipod touch 1 Gen. And use my old ipod nano for Nike+ support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.