Dilemma: Get VMware Fusion 8 for free or pay for Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theosib, Oct 14, 2015.

1. theosib macrumors member

I got a new MBP, but I'd still like to keep using my old one too. I need to run Windows in a VM (FPGA programming software and a few other things). It turns out that I can get VMware Fusion 8 for free, but I've been using Parallels for my other VMs.

Option 1: Keep using Parallels. That means I have to put in a purchase order to upgrade to Parallels 11 on the old one and install fresh on the new notebook. This way, I can just keep using my old VMs in addition to new ones.

Option 2: Switch to VMware Fusion 8. I can get one free license, but I have to put in a purchase order for the second one (why is complicated). If I do this, I'll have to find a way to convert my Parallels VMs to VMware.

Option 3: Keep using Parallels on one computer and install VMware on the other. The problem here is that I can't move VMs to an external drive and boot them on either computer.

Can anyone give me advice on which option here to choose?

2. dyn macrumors 68030

You can always upgrade the VMware license to a Parallels one. The VMware Fusion help has this to say about importing virtual machines from other virtualisation software:

I'm not sure if this is up to date. Some portions of the VMware Fusion help have gotten quite out of date.