Dilemma: Got my refurbed mini Friday - Return it?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Mascat, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. Mascat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #1
    I paid $499 for my refurbed mini and of course the new mini's were released today. And of course the refurb price goes down to $429 today also. I called Apple and the CSR said I could 1) return the mini, they'd waive the restock fee, I pay shipping back for a full refund (minus original shipping cost) . 2) They'd credit back the difference in price of $80 and I keep the mini. The clincher is my refurb had a silent upgrade of 2GB of RAM (instead of 1GB) and a 120 GB HD (instead of 80GB). So is a 1.83 C2D Mac mini with 2GB RAM and a 120GB HD for $429 a keeper in light of recent developments?

    Oh I have until next Friday the 13th to decide.

    What to do? Any opinions?
     
  2. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    #2
    depends on what you are planning on using it for? need the better graphics or more RAM potential?
     
  3. Mascat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #3
    Oh yeah sorry I should have mentioned I'm using it as a HTPC hooked up to my 46" HDTV. I've tried playing 1080P files and it stutters but I'm really happy with it as opposed to the AppleTV. I'm not sure if 1080P even matters to me right now.
     
  4. vga4life macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #4
    Return it and exchange it for the new mini, hands-down.
     
  5. Patriiick macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #5
    It s not a entirely a performance issue, more of a resale value one, but i would return it also.
     
  6. Mascat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #6
    Hmmmm....Do you say that because of the 1080P stuttering or the newer mini is a better value in the long run? To get the new base mini with 2GB of RAM would cost about $650-ish?

    I guess I really don't know what the heck to do. As I just got my mini is it that much of a dog compared to the newest? I haven't had enough time with it to run into a wall (other thn the stuttering 1080P thing) that would seem to make the decision easy.

    Oh and I am planning to upgrade either mini with a 500Gb drive in the future.

    EDIT: Patriick I'm not really intending to resell in the future. I'd either put the "old" mini towards other duties or gift it to family in the future. I'm just trying to figure out if It makes sense to invest ~30% more cash for the return.
     
  7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #7
    Definitely return it and get the new one, it is a lot more future proof and will last you longer. If you can survive a couple days without it then I really don't see a reason not to return it and get a newer and better model :)
     
  8. Mascat thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #8
    Are you guys being devil's advocates or what ;)

    Y'all are really tempting me to send 'er back!
     
  9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #9
    Nope, not trying to be the devil's advocate, going through logical reasoning for the situation. I don't see a downside to sending it back to get the newer one if you can live without it for a couple days.
     

Share This Page