Dilemma: How does the 13's 320M compare w/ a 256MB 7600GT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Silverstring, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Silverstring macrumors member

I'm asking because I have a late 2.16 C2D 2006 iMac w/ 3GB (well, 4GB installed, but the system can only address 3). This one:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-24-inch-specs.html

but I got a CTO w/ the upgraded GeForce 7600GT 256 MB graphics card.

Anyway, I used to have a Macbook Air Rev. A 1.6 80GB. I bought it as a light road/portable machine, saving any more intensive work for the bigger, more powerful desktop when I got home.

I no longer have the Air, and am thinking about getting the new base 13'' MBP 2.4 250GB.

I certainly like the iMac's 24" screen, but if the new laptop is more powerful than that desktop, I'd be tempted to ditch the iMac altogether. Doing so would also simplify my workflow, as I would no longer have to worry about keeping two machines in sync. (I might even use the money from the sale of the iMac to get the 24 cinema display). I am hoping to use this summer to teach myself image editing (Photoshop, Pixelmator, Acorn 2), but mostly I use my computer for light duty (email, writing, internet, plex/boxee media center, etc).

Is the laptop more powerful, or does that dedicated 7600GT really make a difference?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Going by Notebookcheck.net the 320M has the edge over the 7600GT.

3. TiberiusXavier macrumors member

The 320M GPU discussion is a hot topic in the MaxBook Pro, PowerBook forum section. From a general point of view, the 320 chipset is 3 generations newer (not factoring customizations made for apple) than the 7xxx series. The 13 model GPU is a low-end of course, but the graphics power will still out-perform the 7xxx series.

For your particular needs (non-gaming and light video processing), you will be fine with the new macbook pro. I have a 2009 model (9400M) hooked up to an external Dell 24" monitor (1920x1200) with the external mac keyboard and magic mouse (both via bluetooth) to do some iPhone development and have had no performance issues.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

the video card aint everything.

The MB might be a few clicks faster here and there, and the iMac faster a few clicks here and there as well.

Odds are the MB will be faster at everything, just due to the extra few hundred mhz in processor speed.

But you are splitting hairs on the other stuff.