All iPads Dilemma [iPad mini or retina for light work?]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Edmania, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Edmania macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

First, I want to express my appreciation in advance.

I currently own macbook air 11 inch (2013) and macbook pro 13 (2012) with iPad 4. My question, or advice/opinion I am seeking is this. I would very LIGHT work on the iPad -- reading pdf files on GoodNotes and using iBooks.

I am looking to give my iPad 4 and getting a iPad mini (or mini w/ retina). I know that the original mini at 299 is tempting; but on the flip side, mini w/ retina is only 100 more with the new processor and retina display. But, since I am not looking to do intensive work on the iPad, I feel that the original mini would do just fine. But I also know that it isn't as future-proof as the A7 chip...

So, that is my dilemma. For the purpose of my needs with the iPad, and a decision to get the mini, which mini should I get? Oh and by the way, considering the 16 inch wifi only version for either.

All your criticisms, feedback, suggestions...etc. are welcome! Please share!

Thanks!!

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Retina will last longer due to the better processor, M7, etc. original mini will be obsolete sooner.

3. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend the retina if you can afford the difference. Reading pd files will likely be more pleasant on the retina screen. You can certainly do it on the classical mini (I do all the time), but the text is small, and the additional clarity of the retina is nice.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I very strongly recommend you go to an Apple store and try them out side by side. The store near me has the mini's set up so you can put a mini1 literally next to an rMini and use them both.

For the $100 diff you get higher res display as well as two generations newer CPU. May not make a huge difference if your needs aren't at all CPU intensive, but IMHO the display difference with small text alone is worth it if you have reasonably decent eyesight.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I agree with this advice.

I have both the original iPad mini and the retina iPad mini. I switched between the two for about a week while putting the retina iPad mini into my workflow, and I was surprised at how well the non-retina iPad mini held up.

I can clearly see the difference between a retina iPad and the iPad 2. The difference between the retina and non-retina mini is also evident, but the non-retina screen still looks very decent to me. Reading typed text from it is still a pleasure. My original mini is going to a family member, but I can pick it up and use it and not feel that I hate the screen.

FWIW I made the upgrade in order to make hand-written notes easier to read, and the retina screen accomplished that task. Reading typed text doesn't feel particularly different between the two. I also wanted a speed boost when loading hand-written notes, PDFs, and when searching PDFs. The speed boost there is quite impressive.

Basically, the non-retina iPad mini is far from being an obsolete device. The retina iPad mini is better overall. Go to the store and see the screens for yourself to determine whether there's a large difference to your eyes. If there isn't, then consider how important speed with PDF operations are to you. The older mini isn't slow, but time is important to you, then the retina mini is worth it.