Dilemma [need help with purchase decision]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jnd3344, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jnd3344 macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro mid 2011 was stoled back in may and i need to get a new laptop before school starts in 2 weeks. I was mainly debating either the rmb 15" or the new macbook air haswell 13" with all specs to the max. I don't think ill be able to wait for the new rmb with haswell. What should i do?

2. Adam1 macrumors newbie

Wait

I would try and wait it out if you could you might regret having an older model the whole time you have the mac.

3. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will haswell have more of a performance update or just better battery?

I was thinking of getting the 2.7ghz 16gb retina 15

4. Adam1 macrumors newbie

If I'm correct which I may not be but I believe the 13 inch's will be receiving the major improvements.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If your 2011 would've been ok for school, what's wrong with the current models?

6. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

theres nothing wrong i love the current models, just that i wouldnt want to miss a big change or improvement

7. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

No you should be good. Grab one while they're $400-500 off.

Also, I like how you said a MBPr or a maxed out MBA. Then you said you wanted the maxed out rMBP. Be prepared to blow over 3k on the MBPr if you want a maxed out one. Don't forget about taxes

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well there you go then. Dilemma solved.

Again, had your 2011 model not been stolen you'd have missed it anyway. (And never have given it a second thought).

If you need it now, get it now and move on with life. You're going to go through this technical "change" cycle for many years to come.

9. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Just out of curiosity, do your MBP got stolen one month before WWDC? :D

10. jnd3344 thread starter macrumors newbie

where are they 400-500 off?

11. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Sorry to hear that your MBP got stolen! Mind if I ask what happened?

I recommend the 15'' rMBP. Very good computer, a lot of power, great screen. :) If battery life is important to you, then you may want to consider the 13'' MBA, but if you don't really care about that, then yes, rMBP all the way!

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Earliest refurb you can get, I think

13. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

If you need a new laptop before school starts, and you mentioned that you dont want to miss a performance gain from the new hardware, go for a current macbook air maxed.

I dont think i read anywhere what you do with your macbook, but if you are debating between getting a retina macbook pro vs a macbook air in the first place, i think it would be preferred to go with the air.

If you let me know what you will do with your laptop, i think most of us could give you a better answer.