Dilemma - need wise advice

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
104
1
UK
I'm in a dilemma here, though a tricky one 'cos I haven't a clue what to do!

I currently have my trusted 17'' PB G4 1.65ghz and is approaching three years old.

Three months ago, the superdrive packed up, meaning I need a whole new system. Today I've discovered my battery will only hold 45% charge, meaning I'm only getting just mere 2hrs with everything practically turned off and the screen brightness on its dimness. The PB could also do with a service and a diagnostic check - maybe with Leopard installed.

This had me thinking, this is going to cost me over £350 inc VAT and labour ($600) to get the thing repaired and in good working order.

Rather than pay for repair, I could use that money and buy a new decent macbook or MBP and sell the PB on for a cheap price.

Or should I repair the PB and keep it for a couple more years? I'm just kinda worried that as the computer gets older, it might become more prone to picking up other problems - something like hardware failure. I'm not a heavy user, but do use it everyday.

What do you reckon? Any advise?
 

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
6,311
18
the OC
from the way you describe it, it sounds like you'll be spending money on a new system relatively soon anyway. it might just be time to get a new system. it could be perfect timing, with the impending macbook release coming.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the answer lies in what you want to do and what you use....

If you use no GPU intensive software, and you don't use too many PPC apps that do not have Intel versions, and you do not have critical apps that are incompatible with Leopard, then a MB or MBP might be a really good option. Do you need the 17" screen? A Macbook certainly is probably a minimal investment on top of what you can get for the PB, and it's honestly probably faster at almost everything than the Powerbook is. If you need the 17" screen or otherwise need a MBP, then that's a different story costwise, but with Leopard now out, it's probably a good time to upgrade.

In terms of liquidating the Powerbook, in the US, there are places like iFixIt that buy used computers in various states of function for fairly reasonable prices... I presume, where you're from, there may be the same? Of course, I have to defer to Britons on that one. eBay or a forum sale are probably both also options.
 

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
11,617
438
Redondo Beach, California
I...
This had me thinking, this is going to cost me over £350 inc VAT and labour ($600) to get the thing repaired and in good working order...
I just replaced a DVD drive in a notebook last Saturday. Four screw hold it in. Took 15 minutes. I bought the DVD drive for $45.

Batteries are easy to replace too.
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,400
12,510
I'm not a proponent of spending more than half the price of a new MacBook on a 3 year old PPC PowerBook. Unless the software you use is prohibitively expensive to upgrade, then buy new.
 

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
17,845
8,728
Colorado
I'm not a proponent of spending more than half the price of a new MacBook on a 3 year old PPC PowerBook. Unless the software you use is prohibitively expensive to upgrade, then buy new.
I agree. If you are going to have to spend that much to fix a 3 year old computer, I'd say go for the new one.
 

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
8,069
815
Pennsylvania
But if it's only $150 and a few screws to do it yourself, then it might not be worth getting a new computer, not yet at least.

Hell, I'm considering spending $250 to keep an XP machine going:eek:
 

zRedbullz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
104
1
UK
Thanks for the tips.

Buying a new macbook sounds convincing enough, but my only trouble with that is it will feel like I'm downgrading since I'm coming from a 17'' Aluminium PB. I do find the 17'' a little excessive for what I use, so a 15'' would be perfect, but on the one hand the 13'' would be on the small side. :rolleyes:

I still don't know. It's not easy getting hold of Mac parts in the UK either, and is always more expensive than of the US. Though I'm a little apprehensive about pulling my PB apart to fit a new superdrive.

*sigh*
 

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
4,717
2
Northern/Central VA
I'm in a dilemma here, though a tricky one 'cos I haven't a clue what to do!

I currently have my trusted 17'' PB G4 1.65ghz and is approaching three years old.

Three months ago, the superdrive packed up, meaning I need a whole new system. Today I've discovered my battery will only hold 45% charge, meaning I'm only getting just mere 2hrs with everything practically turned off and the screen brightness on its dimness. The PB could also do with a service and a diagnostic check - maybe with Leopard installed.

This had me thinking, this is going to cost me over £350 inc VAT and labour ($600) to get the thing repaired and in good working order.
I you get a new one, get AppleCare so you can have it fixed and not be in the same situation with the drive. 2hrs sounds about right or a 17" to me though.
 

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
406
4
Nottingham, UK
This had me thinking, this is going to cost me over £350 inc VAT and labour ($600) to get the thing repaired and in good working order.
Add to that the saving of not having to buy Leopard as it comes with a new MB or MBP that you may buy and its closer to £450.

Apple have some 15" 2.2Ghz MBP's for £1100 at the moment.

Also you could easily ebay your 17" PB and recover some more cash.
 

Similar threads

  • heyyitssusan
5
Replies
5
Views
552
  • s!ke
3
Replies
3
Views
527
  • iandk
13
Replies
13
Views
888
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.