Dilemma of matte vs glossy -- not quite the norm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 26, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I have a 15" uMBP with the glassy screen, and I love it. I think with the glass, the colors pop, blacks are blacker, everything seems crisp. I really like the black border too.

I considered going matte after having a matte early 2008 non-unibody classic MBP, but I didn't like the silver border with the black rubber gasket going around and standing out so I went for the glassy.

For the most part, I'm happy. I just hate the occasional reflections, but I think the uMBP design is meant to have the black border and the silver border antiglare screen is an afterthought in design.

Should I get a film screen? Or will it greatly reduce the crispness of my picture? I wish I could have a black border uMBP that's crisp but doesn't produce as much glare...

Hmmm

2. laela macrumors regular

laela

When you get the matte option, you are literally paying for them to remove the glass covering the screen and paste in the aluminium bezel to hold the screen in place.

Really quite outrageous, with little to no design thought or aesthetic value.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

False, they put a matte screen in there instead of a glossy one with glass over it.

4. laela macrumors regular

laela

Here it is from the horse's mouth if you don't believe me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA1y8wMapr0

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Anyone have the same dilemma as me for the same reasons?

6. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I originally agrees with you at the first place. I have the later 2008 Unibody MBP which has glassy screen (No matte opt for that time). Somehow it broke and Apple agrees to replace it. Think I'd go with the matte opt for this replacement unit. After reading some of the guys opinion in this forum, I actually agree with them that the matte is actually has a better looking than the glassy. The black rubber on the edge of the display makes the computer looks good and tough, because it is cohesive with the keyboard's black color itself.

The only think I noticed is that my uMBP with matte is lighter than my glassy one. Think its because that glass is way too heavy.

So, if I'm going to choose, I'll definitely choose the matte one. It's a worth $50 upgrade.

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I would want matte, too. Both my 7 year old Powerbook G4 and 2 year old MBA came with matte screens as standard equipment. My first HDTV had a clear glass screen, much like the current MBP does. I hated, hated, hated it. The reflections were unacceptable, especially during daylight hours. It frustrates me that, although it is possible to buy MBPs at something of a discount from a number of sites, many if not most of them stock only standard MBPs with clear glass covering their screens. If I ordered from Apple in order to get a matte screen, I would not only have to pay $50 extra for the matte option, there would be no discount whatever, plus sales tax.

8. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Nope, I have seen a matte screen and I have seen a screen without the glass on it, they are different. The glass model is still glossy.

Also techrestore does a glassy to matte mod you can get it clearly says they replace the glossy screen, this is exactly what Phil was referring to:
    In order to replace the super-shiny screen with a traditional matte (anti-glare) screen, we remove the glass screen cover (you know, that mirror-like glass you have been seeing your reflection in), then we remove the glossy LCD (LED backlight) screen. We then replace the glossy screen with a matte-finish screen that has the exact same specifications as the original; same resolution, same color depth, same LED backlight...you get the idea. We install a custom black bezel around the edge of the screen that matches the finish of the MacBook and looks great. The bezel has all the required holes in it for the iSight and other items that sit at the top of the MacBook screen housing.

If they actually had a matte screen underneath of the glass it would look WAY worse then a matte screen because you would not get the deep colors of a glossy screen AND you would get the reflection from the glass. The glass does nothing to enhance the image quality it just adds glare. It does however look nice, is easy to clean and adds some durability.

As for OPs question I would just stick with the glassy screen, I love matte screens but I don't think I would ever be happy with a film.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

thadoggfather -- The nastiness of one socially challenged poster to the contrary, I appreciated your question, which made me, for one, take a fresh look at an old issue. In any thread there is likely to be a wise guy who will try to prove how smart he is by telling you that you shouldn't have started the thread in the first place. Fortunately, though, many people appreciate getting the opportunity to take a fresh look at a familiar issue, as most of the responses you have drawn in this thread have proved. I just ignore the nastiness. Thanks for starting the thread, I have enjoyed it.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Go with matte - the anti-glare option. Don't get any film.. they are crap.

I owned both the glassy and anti-glare models (my reviews are on here). I'd always go with matte. So much easier on the eyes.

Anyway, the silver bezel looks so much sexier! This is a good photo from the Post Your Mac Setup topic:

[​IMG]

12. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I agree, there is a slightly new perspective. Really though, if I had a choice, I'd like matte but it wouldn't matter to me. Decent processor + SSD + Maxed out RAM = perfection.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you think you're referring to me, my post referred to people trying to derail the thread with the argument about whether or not the matte screen was simply the glossy with the glass removed, which is what the link I posted referred to. I said nothing about the OP starting the thread. Look before you leap.

14. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

not too a snoop, and this is sad to admit how much i know about apple products, but there are no macbook airs with matte screens unless you modded it.

to you guys: thanks but either way i don't get offended by what's said on a forum :p

Seems like an interesting divide. That picture definitely makes the antiglare macbook pro look good, but i still love the black border

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I keep making the mistake of using the MBA acronym when I am really talking about the Macbook Pro and should have used the MBP acronym. Oh, well, I suppose it it could be worse, say Tourette's syndrome. At least when I fat finger the wrong acronym, I'm quiet about it. :)

16. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The blacker blacks are worthless because there are constant reflections in them. ;)

After almost 3 years with a glassy iMac, I will never buy a Mac with a mirror screen again.

17. Sn0wball macrumors regular

I'm absolutely gutted that the anti-glare option costs an extra £40 ($60), especially as the glossy screen very likely costs more as it has an extra glass layer.

This price difference is unreasonable.

18. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Nice! I always thought the unibodies are terrible to look at with the black border around the glossy screen, but this looks sexy again! Perhaps now I don't have to wear down my pre-unibody.

OT: My opinion; ALWAYS go for matte if you use the MBP proffesionally. Easier on the eyes (handy after those 8 hours+ days, no reflections, more correct colors (good for graphics and design work)

19. 7even macrumors 6502a

If you live in a dark environment and never go outside, glossy would be ok. In the real world, matte works better....

20. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

If I was to buy a MBP I'd totally go the matte route. Not only does it look better to me, but there's no stupid glass to break if it drops (and you know there's always a chance it'll fall once in its life).