Dilemma - replace now or wait until iPhone 6 announcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shrimpergarry, Aug 4, 2014.

  1. shrimpergarry macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2011
    Location:
    Chelmsford, UK
    #1
    I'm based in the UK and a business account customer with T-Mobile.

    I have an iPhone 4S that has just died (in a boot loop and neither the genius bar nor a knowledgeable and experienced private repair guy can fix it).

    I'm currently using a cheap Android phone as a temporary solution, but really want to get back on an iPhone asap.

    My current contract expires mid-November, however T-mobile will let me do an early upgrade with no penalty from next week (14th August).

    However, with the impending announcement of the iPhone 6, I'm not sure whether to go for it or wait.

    There is no guarantee I'd go for the 6 as the 5S is probably good enough for what I need, however I am assuming that once the 6 is announced, the 5S will be quite a lot cheaper so I don't really want to be paying over the odds for 2 years just for the sake of probably an extra month's use.

    I'm just after opinions to help me make a decision and anyone with any knowledge of how much the price of the previous model iphone drops once a new one is announced
     
  2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

    The-Real-Deal82

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #2
    If you can put up with the Android phone for another 8 weeks or so, then wait. You obviously know the short falls of buying the 5S so close to the 6 launch so I think you've already convinced yourself. ;)
     
  3. L T macrumors 6502

    L T

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2013
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    I'd pick up a second hand iPhone cheap, go to one of those CEX stores that are springing up everywhere here in the UK. You should be able to get a 4/S for a littler over £100. Then you can upgrade to the 6 and keep it as a spare or sell it
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    Get a used one off swappa.com (or where ever else you prefer) and wait it out until the 6 is released.
     
  5. sunking101 macrumors 603

    sunking101

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2013
    #5
    I bought my iPhone 5 two months before the 5S came out. I won't make that mistake again. Luckily for me the 5S was just a hotrodded version of the phone I own, but the iPhone 6 is going to be much bigger and better than the 5S.

    So unless you specifically want a smaller screen, I would wait for the iPhone 6.
     
  6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    #6
    It's always good to have a spare iPhone handy so I'd say buy now, and buy the new one too. But if you can't afford to do both, then wait.
     
  7. makerleone macrumors regular

    makerleone

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2014
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    according to me you should have to wait for iPhone 6. my little bro using 4s which about to die, he want to go with 5s but i also advising him just to wait for 14th october for iPhone 6 release.
     
  8. RenoG macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    #8
    I'm in the same boat, I killed my iphone5 over the weekend. I don't have a spare so I'm checking around with buddies to see if they have old iphone sitting around that I can borrow unitl the 6 is out.
     

Share This Page