Dilemma: Should I become iPodless?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Apr 14, 2008.

?

Are you iPodless?

1. Yes! iPods are for wieners

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. nooooooooo! You can have my iPod when you pry it from my cold dead fingers

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm toying around with the idea of selling my 30GB 5g iPod. Before that I owned a 10GB 2g. It's not that I don't like my iPod, it's just I could probably get $100+ out of it. Plus the fact that I have 2GB on my phone that I throw random albums onto. Right now I'm "going naked" as it were and testing out just using my phone as my only tune device.

Has anyone else went from having an iPod to not having an iPod? Anything you miss? Would you suggest the same?

I just don't want to sell the iPod and turn around and need one in a few months. Right now I can't see that happening... but I noticed I haven't used it in a while and selling it on craigslist is oh so tempting :D

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't use my Nano anymore, but I do use my iPhone for music when I didn't think I would. I device really works nicely, + the music fade/pause when a call comes in is a pretty sweet feature. But I guess it still counts as an iPod b/c of the iTunes compatability/syncing.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

not sure about ipod-less before - but i had a week of no mac and just a ipod touch:( that was hell!

i miss my nano's now that i've sold em ,the touch is nice but size rules.

i would think giving up iPods is alot like giving up smoking - hard to resist , j u s t o n e m o rrrrrr e :D

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

No way. Sell your old one if you must, but put the $$ back into a new iPod Touch, Nano, or better yet, a 3G iPhone when they come out. :D

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't really used my 30GB 5th Gen iPod since I got my iPhone. So I say yeah, sell it, if you are not going to use it.

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

well it depends which is easier to use,

My phone, for instance, doesn't have a huge memory (although it's expandable) and when I slide it down, you can't easily change the tracks without pressing two buttons to unlock the phone's menu system.

But my iPod shuffle is easy to use, and light, plus it uses a standard headphone jack, which means I can use my headphones with the computers at school, and other things I may need them for.
    Plus it offers more ease of use than the phone.

But I would imagine that a different iPod may not be as easy.

It depends on what you feel is best. If you need the money, sell them. If you like your iPods and don't really need the money right now, save them until you DO need the money for something urgent, if you need it.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

8. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

It's a T-Mobile Wing manufactured by HTC

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, why not sell the ipod for now, since you don't really need it now, and get an iPhone when the new one comes out? or iPod Touch

10. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Well the new iPhone wouldn't help me much seeing as how T-mo is going with a different 3G frequency than AT&T :p (1700/2100)

But I do see where you're coming from and will take that into consideration...

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Dilemma: Should I become iPodless?

(Insert vasectomy joke here.)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use my three iPods for different things now -- my iPhone is the one I carry with me during the day, and I listen to it while walking to/from work. The Nano now only gets used for running. The iPod 4G basically only gets used in my car and with my iLuv clock radio thingy (e.g. at camp). So they all do things for me.

But like others above, I did find that my phone for music was satisfactory enough during the day (although in my case, I rely fairly heavily on iTunes DRM music, and so I couldn't see using a HTC). In your case, if you find the same, then it seems like selling your iPod now might be a good idea, since it will decline in value over time. On the other hand, its depreciation is... what... $7-8/mo? Meaning that you don't spend a lot of money keeping it either.

I think your plan to do a trial not using it is a good idea.

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't get it. Are you poor and need money or just don't need an iPod. I would keep the iPod. I mean, $100 isn't that much. Probably go spend that at the bars this weekend.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my ipod gets used too much for me to sell it, but it all depends on your habits and what works for you.

15. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I had a 30Gig iPod and it was great, but eventually I sold it and used a Sony Ericsson K750i. Now I use my N95.

The iPod was easier to use and browse, and setting up playlists on iTunes was great, but for my use it wasn't the best option as I like to listen to music on my motorcycle and I have to be able to quickly kill the sound when coming up to junctions or in heavy traffic. I could control the K750i through my pocket for basic operations (Play/pause and advance) and I can do the same on my N95 using the remote on the headphones. I couldn't do the same on the iPod.

It took a while, but I got used to not having it. It's handier having one piece of kit rather than two.

Edit: Not having video was the hardest thing for me to get used to. It was so handy when travelling. The N95 takes care of that now.

16. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Just found someone wanting to buy it for $120 :)

I think I'll go for it :p

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

just do whatever makes you happy. any plans for the $120?

18. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Probably going into paying off my CC bill :rolleyes: But it's not too big, been hovering around $500 for a few months, I need to get around to nipping that in the bud! Still waiting Paypal's decision on a phone I bought around feb 02 :eek: But they seem to be unable to contact the seller... So hopefully I'll obtain some money soon. $332 will pay off most of the cc debt, and then the rest can be paid off easily.

19. gonyr macrumors 6502

Sell it, and don't get another one. Unplug from listening to your music 24/7. Talk to people. Experience the whole world that's out there beyond your headphones. It's perfectly acceptable to go a few hours without your music.

Just my opinion.

20. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

BLASPHEMY! :eek:

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm with twoodcc on this one. I'm holding off on getting another iPod because I'm hoping that iPhones will come to Canada (not holding my breath mind you) and finally I only have to remember to grab one electronic device when I head out.

But if you've got a music player on your phone already, you should give that a try before selling your iPod. I have a Moto SLVR and it's ok, but only for listening to a few albums/ small playlists. The 100 song limiter really sucks, and I got tired of refreshing the bloody thing about once a week.