Dilemma... Transferring Lost 3GS Data to iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justin122, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Justin122, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

Justin122 macrumors 6502

Problem has now been resolved. Ignore this thread.

Hi everyone,

Back in April I lost my iPhone 3GS on a train and was planning to get the iPhone 5 and restore from my old 3GS backup. I google searched if there would be any problems, and I found that you cannot backup data from a different version of iOS. As we are assuming that the iPhone 5 will have iOS5 pre-installed, this is going to be a problem as I cannot upgrade my lost 3GS to the new operating system.

Is this true?

Many thanks,

Justin122

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm not exactly sure, but I don't think that will be the case. If it was, then everyone with an iphone who upgrades to the 5 would first have to upgrade their existing device to ios5, then back up the old device only to restore it to the new iPhone 5. Not likely. And also, their are a ton of people selling off their iPhone 4, 3GS, etc. and using some old flip phone until iphone5 drops. They would all be screwed if what u are saying is correct. Same for people with 3G phones that iOS 5 won't be compatible with. I wouldn't worry about it. There is NO way ur data will be lost when u get the 5 and/or iOS 5.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

No problem at all. You can restore from an older iPhone to a newer phone. It's done all the time!! You can even restore from an iPod Touch to an iPhone. Steve wouldn't let you down!! :D

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Short answer, No not today.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13214612&postcount=4

Please remember the iPhone is not currently designed to be the master data source for your information. For example your contacts are synced to your PC, Mac or web based email / contact system. Your iTunes ( music / vidoes ) library master is also not on your iPhone.

You might think of the iCloud as the replacement for your PC, Mac or web based email as the master source. There are a number of third party packages that will allow you to extract your data from your existing iPhone backup. Now would be a good time for you to check out your options.

Dave

5. lancastor macrumors 6502a

No problem. Here is the solution:

Since Apple has intruduced file-sharing via iTunes, you have access to the whole /var/mobile/applications folder (without jailbrekaing !!!!), where your apps are stored.

1. Download "JuicePhone" and extract your iPhone 3GS backup
    2. Install your old apps via AppStore on your iPhone 5
    3. Download "iPhone Explorer" and connect your iPhone 5 via USB or WiFi. USB is strongly recommended (much faster)
    4. Copy your backuped "Documents" and "Library" folders to the apps

DONE

6. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yeah.

I thought the problems came when you tried to go from a newer version of iOS to an older version. :confused: Like going from ATT to Verizon?

I thought it worked to go from older to newer just fine.

7. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess not then.

Wow, that's a shame... I don't know how I'm going to recover the pictures in my camera roll now, nor my app management. Downloading all of the applications I had on my iPhone is going to take at least a day.

I'm surprised that Apple have this restriction... I understand that they backup EVERYTHING, but is it really necessary to back up the OS as well as the data?

I'm also surprised that they haven't had complaints as this is a pretty big game-changer for me (not going to use iCloud, looks far too confusing).

8. EddyP macrumors 6502

I find it hard to believe. It would make upgrading devices unnecessarily difficult.

I certainly can see it not working backwards. i.e. newer to older.

Let me try an experiment with my iPhone and iPod touch.

9. EddyP macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS running 4.3.5.

I have a gen 1 iPod touch running 4.2.1.

I was just able to restore my 3GS and load an old backup from the touch that was done with 4.2.1 with no problems. It works.

I am now trying to restore the touch with a newer backup from the iPhone. I'm assuming that won't work.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you can restore from an older backup to a newer phone (backup from say 3.0 to 4.0), however, you cannot take your backup from 4.0 and restore it to a device running 3.0.

11. specify macrumors regular

You can definitely restore a back up from an older iOS version to a phone with a newer iOS version. I've done it with the 2G when I upgraded to 4.

12. Justin122 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for testing it out guys. Sorry to bump an old thread, just saw these replies. :eek: