Dilemma..wanting to know what to do.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XboxEvolved, Jan 20, 2008.

1. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

So I don't have much money, but I have a old PowerMacG4 466MHz, and obviously it is slow, and I can't get much done.

I do a lot of website work, writing, and I use a few of Adobe's programs a lot. The designs I work on are so complicated though, that it takes like 10 minutes for anything to happen in Photoshop, so I just kind of ignore those projects for now. So my question is, is someone that is in lack of funds be just fine getting say, a HP with a 20' monitor, 1GB RAM, AMD Athlon X2 4400+, 320GB HD, etc or an iMac 20'?

Is there really that big of a difference between the iMac 2.0GHz and 2.4Ghz?

Is iWorks any good, is it a decent replacement for Word and Powerpoint?

Should I get Applecare if I get the iMac?

If for some reason I decided to use a 3D program in the future, would it run fine on a iMac?

What is the cheapest way to get publisher type Adobe programs, and Flash?

is there anything else I should know?

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. No real differences between 2.0 and 2.4, max the RAM.
    2. iWork works for most folks, but go Apples site and read the info on it and see if it is right for you.
    3. Since you can not repair the imac on your own I would get AppleCare. L. A. Computing usually has it on sale most time. I got mine for $99.00.
    4. Cheapest way legally is either on eBay or sights which sell them at a slight discount like Amazon.com.

if you own a business all this can be written off in your taxes,, you obviously have not spent much on a computer etc., for quite some time...so get your arse in gear mate!