Dilemma with college computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozfried2693, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ozfried2693 macrumors member

I want the best computer I can buy pretty much, because I'm going to be using this for the next 6 years so it needs to be FAST.

My dilemma...

Do I get a 2.2 GhZ Quad Core 15" MBP (8GB RAM, SSD)?

OR

2.7 GhZ Dual Core 13" MBP (8GB RAM, SSD) with a 27" Cinema Display?

I do like the second option better because of the portability and the 27" display in my dorm room, because I think if I get the 15" it would probably be ridiculous to get the Cinema display as well. However, I want a really fast computer, so is the 13" much slower? What are your opinions on the situation?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It needs to be fast... for what? Last I checked checking your e-mail, writing papers, and wasting time on Facebook was fairly GHz-independent.

In 6 years no current consumer machine will be considered "fast" anyways.

3. ozfried2693 thread starter macrumors member

It needs to be fast because I want it to last for 6-years. Unlike my first MacBook Pro which died after 2 years.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You still didn't answer question, fast for doing what?

5. ozfried2693 thread starter macrumors member

Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Final Cut Pro specifically and of course all of Office and iLife.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you don't need a discrete video card and you can deal with the tiny screen outside of home, then I'd totally do option #2.

7. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

You're first MBP didn't die because it wasn't fast.

Second, look at the benchmark scores and see if there really is a difference. Also think of your living situation. Dual monitors rock, especially if you are doing work simultaneously like spreadsheets and web research.

I would go 15" plus external. In 6 years, the standard might be a quad-core, like Lion requires a dual-core.

8. ozfried2693 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and do you think that there is a significant difference between the 2.0 GhZ quad and the 2.2 GhZ?

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

In six years we will be running iOS 11 via interfaces plugged directly into our brains through gigantic 30 pin apple connectors. Your computer will be a doorstop. Seriously. Six years from now your "fast" computer will be a relic.

So, more realistically, what can you buy to get stuff done for the next two or three years? I'd say the 15" is a safe bet. Quad core, beautiful screen, and easily sold if you want to upgrade. Dollar for dollar, you get a lot more than you would with your 13" 2.7.

Speaking for myself, I don't usually take my computer on campus. I prefer the iPod+bluetooth keyboard / iPad in my man bag. I save the computer for when I get home.

10. ozfried2693 thread starter macrumors member

I would do that...but I don't think the iPad is practical at all for class because I would probably just end up playing games on it. So I would definitely be taking it around everywhere.

I really want the 27" CD but do you think that would be obnoxious as a freshman in college?

11. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I think worrying over specs is over rated. I'm in media and know a lot of creatives who do editing etc for a living, and they aren't buying new computers every year, and if they are at a pro shop, they will have a editing suite with mac pros, not mbps.

The machine doesn't make the man.

12. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

My dorm room won't even fit a 27' CD I bet!

Personally, I'd go for the '15 spec out because you'll be able to resell it for more $. I'm typing this on a late 08 MBP that's still worth around $1000!

13. cdustybk macrumors member

Like said above, worrying about specs isn't such a big deal, especially from Apple. I have a 13" MacBook from Jan. '08. It runs Snow Leopard (soon to be Lion) with Photoshop/GarageBand/XCode/iMovie/any other program like a dream.

If you are a SERIOUS about the media, you will need a Mac Pro with 1 or 2 Cinema Displays. However, the specs on the MacBook Pros are so close, it's all about preference at this point. Which would you be happier looking at every day?

The 13" is cheaper
    The 15" has a bigger screen

(Consider the cinema display for playing movies. I use the remote on mine to make my laptop have the "Apple TV" feel and I can watch from across the room. And its just cool.)

14. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Future-proofing never, ever works with electronics.

15. guitargoddsjm, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

First of all, what's your major?

Second of all, I'd go with whatever option lets you get the 27" ACD. I have the previous ACD (27" w/o thunderbolt), and I absolutely love it. I can't see working without an external monitor, but that's just me.

Granted, I also have a 2010 15" MBP, but for day-to-day stuff, I don't think I'd really notice the difference between it and a 13". Also, considering I almost always have my MBP in my backpack when I'm on campus, it's considerably heavier than my previous computer (a macbook).

Edit: The post below makes a valid point. Although I'm in college, I should probably point out that I live off campus in an apartment with a decent sized bedroom (only a little smaller than my freshman year dorm room, which was for two people).

16. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

In a dormitory room, why get a 27" monitor? Why size is the room? You need significant desk-space to properly sit away from the monitor without causing eye-strain.

17. slieu92 macrumors regular

i've rendered 720p video on my 2.0 2011 mbp with the processor at 80% idle. but then again, it was through a fw800 drive.

like you i'm going to my first year of college in the fall and also dorming. i'm bringing my 15" mbp and a 24" monitor. i honestly can't think of a reason to pay apple that much for a monitor.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

it is somewhat more difficult to play games on the ipad in class, because you have to touch the screen and it is pretty obvious what you are doing, but i get your point. then, i guess you don't intend to bring your computer to class either. so, i have to wonder, what is this obsession with speed?

the paper you write this year isn't going to need quad cores, and neither will the resume you write in six years (assuming you graduate and don't have a job yet because you are still using a computer from six years ago).

anyhow, your 27" will make a great target for thieves, so no one will think it is obnoxious. i disagree with some of the other posters. a 27" would be fine in terms of size--it's not too big to view. but, it is rather imposing and doesn't seem very appropriate for the environment. in other words, unless you are going there to learn something that requires extensive and intensive work with a large display, this whole scheme screams "fanatic gamer who dropped out after the first semester because he never went to class."

19. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Please do not go down the road of "future proofing". In computers, there really is no such thing. I bought I very high-end MacBook Pro last year. Guess what? The new MacBook Pros run circles around it. That's one year. Now, think about six. I'm not saying that I'm dissatisfied with my purchase. I love my Mac. Just don't try to get a computer with the highest specs because you think it'll last you longer. Buy what is good for you now. Six years from now... hell, two years form now, it won't matter if you bought a 2.2GHz i7 or a 2.3GHz i7.

20. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Get an iMac. Are you going to carry it around to class? I never brought my laptop around with me and regretted not purchasing an iMac back then (until this May). I'm just saying this because I got what was "the hotness" back then and now it's annoyingly slow. The iMac is simply more computer and will last a little longer. But if you need a laptop get the 15" and save your money on the ACD since you will probably be better off with a cheaper LCD TV.

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. so true. we probably won't even remember what those numbers even meant when we get our hands on the 64 core MacPad.

22. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Contact your department head and see if they have a specs recommendation sheet. I got one from Purdue.