Dilemma with my MBP order...Should I return it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hovitos-way, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

I have had a MBP 15 with an AntiGlare screen and 7200rpm Hard Drive on order for almost the last 3 weeks. On monday, I was getting a bit worried with it still not being listed as shipping. I called Apple up and they assured me that everything is ok and it should ship within the next week and there was nothing they could do about it. The guy read my spec out to me to double check and he said that they have sent me out a machine with 5400RPM HDD in it. He said he would try and get a message to the factory before it began shipping. He was too late. The MBP started shipping 2 hours after I got off the phone to him.

So now I have a machine shipping out to me with an incorrect spec and so I called up again today to see what could be done. The guy gave me two options:

1) He said I could accept the new model and then they will send the correct machine and I give them back the incorrect one when mine arrives. He said this could take 4 weeks.

2) The alternative was for me to accept the machine and as a 'goodwill gesture' I could be given ~£200 to spend on the Apple online store. This is constrained however to be only an Apple branded product and it can't be used as £200 off a product. Basically I can get anything around £200 or less for free but can't get £200 off, for example, a Cinema Display. This kinda limits me to something like a 1TB Time Capsule.

What would you do in my situation? I have no idea what to do.

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

I suggest you make your decision when you receive the computer. If everything is perfect, go with option 2 and get a nicer hdd on your own. If something is wrong or you find out that you really must have the factory-installed 7200, then go with option 1.

3. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Go for option 2 get a time capsule, I buy it from you for £180

4. advres Guest

advres

Time capsules are a waste of money. Take the machine and use it until the new one comes in. You have a free month use of a brand new computer that will work fine.

5. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

buy software you may need, iWork, MS Office, maybe a case or mouse or something, grab a bag, sleeve, anything you need, all your accessories.

all that awesome stuff in exchange for a couple thousand RPM's? um yea

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Care to explain as to why Time Capsules are a waste of money?

7. 184550 Guest

Option 1, I would get the machine you wanted/ ordered the first time and wouldn't settle for less.

8. advres Guest

advres

$300 for 1TB of storage? Sorry but I don't think this needs explaining.

9. hovitos-way thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies!

Thing is, I have Office 2008 (Uni gives it to me for free) and I just got rid of my old MBP 15, so I still have the sleeves and most accessories I need. Plus, they did say that I would have to get Apple branded things from the store. Otherwise I'd get a firewire 800 external HDD and use it as a time machine drive. :(

I've not heard many great things about them personally. Lots of people complaining about HDD failures and other issues. (The Apple customer relations bloke even said he would have to think twice about getting one as he's had to deal with a lot of people needing replacements :p).

I think I'm going to think about it for a couple days and see if the replies in this thread will swing me one way or the other. Am I really able to use the new computer even if they are going to replace it? I didn't realise I'd be able to do that. I envisaged it being sat in its box (almost teasing me) until my correct machine was sent to me if I took that option.

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

time capsule is a very neat device, both an external hard drive and a wireless router, i would say go option 2, i bought a 500 gb hdd @ 5400 rpm yesterday for $70 canadian, so you should be able to pickup a new drive for a very good price, and have a backup =D

11. Xombie11 macrumors regular

There isn't much of a difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm drives anyway. Accept the machine, buy a time capsule/apple tv/airport extreme/magic mouse and spend $50 to buy a 7200 rpm seagate momentus off newegg for $55 and install it yourself. Or buy the XT, for an even greater speed enhancement.

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

One other thing you may want to try and do is take the 1 TB time capsule, and then return it to an apple store unopened. If you explain to the store clerk or even manager that you received this as a goodwill gesture from Apple but really have no use for it, and the you would prefer to take the money as a Apple gift card to use on another purchase, I am sure they will oblige. Just make its completely brand new and sealed (i.e. it can be sold as new)

13. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

The only substantial difference between the 5400 and 7200 rpm drives is that many of the 7200 drives vibrate pretty loudly. f you're looking for performance, forget HDD, go SSD. I found the vibration unacceptable in the unibody MBPs, and took out all of my 7200 rpm drives. I You'll never miss it. Take the $$$ and run.

14. Xenophon macrumors regular

Ditto that. Why accept a 200 GBP coupon for a product that a) you don't need and b) is basically just a low-quality HDD in a fancy enclosure that costs them less than half?

15. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

My first question would be did you even get the $50 back for the wrong product they sent and on top of the $50 you get back, you would get option 2? If they didn't refund you the $50 and are giving you option 2, I would rather go with option 1 because you are basically getting $150 to spend on something you don't even seem to need. Ask them for a third option - a hi-res antiglare upgrade for free :D.