Dilemma: X vs 8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Kulfon macrumors 6502

Kulfon

folks,
    I have an iPhone 6+ and was waiting for X to be announced. To be very honest, I am not impressed:-( It is likely going to be a nice phone if you can forgive it a couple of things:
    1. Lack of touch id
    2. Lack or true edge to edge screen
    3. White back panel

So now, I can stick to 6s for another year. The battery is still Ok, I did not move ro iOS 11. Getting 8 is pointless because it is the same as 6s. Maybe get 8+? Camera will be better. Is there any reason to get 8+ instead of keep using 6s? Any practical reason?

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I have a 128gb 6s.

I will not be buying a new phone this year. I doubt that I am the only one choosing this path.

It would cost me $850 to buy an equivalent ip8. Considering the limited improvements in this year's phone, I'm not interested.

3. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

I upgraded from 6s Plus to 8 Plus.

Amazing upgrade all the way around... from 14 hours of streaming video on a single charge to the camera to the wireless charging to the display to the hardware (processor is the same as the X)...

It's worth it if you're like me and not interested in the X and wanting to move on from your current device. My 6 had horrid battery life and I got $275 in trade from Verizon which sealed the deal.

Attached Files:

• bat.jpg
      bat.jpg
      File size:
      178.4 KB
      Views:
  4. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Not sure how you can say lack of a true edge to edge display is a fault/negative of the iPhone X. No smartphone on the market has a true edge to edge display. That would require 100% screen to body ratio. No phone has broken the 90% mark yet.

No one but you can deside if the 8+ is worth it to you. It all depends on your needs. Do you need longer battery life? Do you need better camera sensors with a dual lens allowing for 2x optically? Do you need True Tone display? Do you need a significantly improved CPU/GPU? Do you need the larger display of the Plus vs the 6s? Do you need a phone that can handle AR better? Do you need wireless charging?

This list can go on. Only you can answer it though.

5. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Sounds like you're pretty happy with your 6s+ so unless you need a new phone because the storage is not enough or its broken then I'd just wait another year.

BTW, I'm also keeping my 6s for awhile longer.

6. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

The issue is the notch and it hurts because it is there because of face id, which is the thing I hate and would love to keep touch id.

7. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Wait.... are you using a 6+, 6s or 6s+?

6+ to 8+ is a big jump. I went from a 6+ to the 8+ and it’s a huge upgrade in terms of speed and camera. Going from 1GB to 3GB makes a very noticeable difference. If I had a 6s+ on the other hand, I would have kept it another year because of the rumored + sized version of the X next year. I don’t like the notch either, but I think I could learn to live with it, now that I’ve had some time to reflect on it, and having that OLED display would have been nice.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I wasn’t ready to give up on the home button and Touch ID either, so I upgraded from my 6 to an 8+. Couldn’t be happier!

9. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

The notch would be there regardless of FaceID. You still need somewhere to put the camera, proximity sensor, mic and ear piece that exists in all TouchID iPhones.

The screen design isn’t a byproduct of FaceID. It’s a byproduct of slimming the bezels. The notch was a design choice.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If you are fine with your processing power/speed and battery life, there is no reason to upgrade in my opinion. Camera is a big benefit in my book, but perhaps not to everyone.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even when you decide to upgrade, the iPhone 8 will remain in Apples lineup for at least another 2/3 years. So you have the opportunity still to utilize touch ID before Face ID ultimately becomes the primary source of Security across the entire iPhone line up.

12. ssrij Suspended

8+, so I can have an easier time getting an X. /s