iPad Pro Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jaded-mandarin, Oct 19, 2018.

  1. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    I'm looking to pick up an iPad to use as I start 6 months of travelling.

    I've previously owned the iPad 3rd generation and a 1st generation iPad Pro (2nd hand with bad battery so I got rid).

    I don't really want to pick up the base model as I think it's a bit too too thick and heavy, and don't want to pay for what is a 5-year old design. I've held out hoping that the new releases would push down the price of the 2nd gen iPad Pro (10.5"), or that I'd just go for the new model. I'm wanting to use some AMEX points I've earned to use towards the purchase on Amazon.

    The dilemma? I set off travelling on the 1st November. I won't be in an Amazon-operating country til after Christmas. I don't want to be one of those people who buys an iPad 2 weeks before new ones come out.

    What's the delay on launch to in stock for iPads usually? Is it the same as the iPhones or is there less time between? What would you do?
     
  2. Mellofello808 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    #2
    Just pick up a used one to last you for 2 months, and then resell it.
     
  3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

    New_Mac_Smell

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Location:
    Shanghai
    #3
    Just wait till after Christmas, you'll get a chance to see reviews and can easily grab one from a store by then. It's only a couple of months, I'd rather do that then buy twice. Depends how desperate you are.
     
  4. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #4
    Well, as I see it, you’ve got 3 options.

    1) Buy the current 10.5” now
    2) Go without an iPad for 2 months & Wait till after Christmas to buy one of the new iPad pros
    3) Have a family member buy the new 10.5”(11”) iPad Pro when they come out and somehow get it to you.

    * Personally if you really need an iPad for the next two months while on the road, i’d go with option #1 and get the 10.5” now. (Or the regular 9.7” iPad if u really want to save $) You can always sell it later and put the money towards one of the new ones if you want. Not the most cost effective solution, but who knows, you may really dig the current 10.5” and just keep it. That way you can wait to see if there are any first gen bugs in the new bezel-less iPad pros with face ID. There may be.
     
  5. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    #5
    I would pick up a 10.5 used on swaps, letgo, or Facebook marketplace - around me there are some GREAT deals on these. Then once new ones come out sell it and pick up one
     
  6. charlituna macrumors G3

    charlituna

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    Your issue at this point is that they are announcing on the 30th but that doens’t mean it will be in stock then. In fact it’s more likely that the earliest it could be in stock is that Friday, 2 days after you leave.

    Get what you need now or maybe the afternoon after the announcement when maybe it’s down a little in price and move on. It isn’t going to suddenly stop working cause a 3rd gen starts selling
     
  7. jaded-mandarin thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    Thanks for all the replies.

    I decided that the logistical wangling of trying to save myself a £100 or so by hoping the 10.5 comes down in price with the new models just wasn't worth it, especially with being so far from home.

    Amazon was selling the 10.5 for £575 (£619 on Apple's site) and I had a £200 Amazon voucher I redeemed through my AMEX points. I was never looking to buy one of the new Pros yet to be announced anyways and £375 for a new Pro can't be sniffed at!
     
  8. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013

Share This Page

7 October 19, 2018