Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JLEW700, Aug 28, 2008.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

Ok, so i want to waite for the new macbook to come out but in order to purchase a macbook i will need to take advantage of the 2 years no interest that bestbuy is offering. The bestbuy offer is rumored to end on the 30th of this month. So my plan is to buy the current macbook at bestbuy and use the 2 years no interest deal. Then i will take the macbook to the apple store and return it saying that i got it as a gift and i dont have a receipt and in doing so they will give me store credit and i can just waite for the new macbook while making 0% interest payments on my bestbuy card. Leaving personal moral values and ethics aside, does anybody think this will work?????

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Apple stores keep their own copies of the receipts for things they sell, so they'll be able to look up the serial number and know they didn't sell it to you.

3. ShaneR macrumors member

haha, creative...will it work? I have no clue. I doubt they will give you store credit for a macbook sold at bestbuy.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not to mention that their manufacturing/distribution systems would almost certainly track where every serial number produced was shipped- which would show it as a Best Buy allocated machine. Doubt this idea would would fly.

5. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the worst thing that could happen is they look up the serial number and say that it was sold at bestbuy (if thats possible). Since im gonna tell them i got it as a gift ill just tell them that i assumed they got an apple product at the apple store and ill just go to bestbuy and return it.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

well wherever you decide to return it, make sure you dont open the packaging, cuz theyll charge you a restocking fee

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

The Apple store will do a quick serial number check and know you are trying to pull a fast one. You aren't the first nor the last that has tried to scam them.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. golfnut1996 macrumors newbie

Just wait. BB will have that offer again, believe me. One ends, and another begins.

Chances are your little scam won't work anyway. Why bother to try? If you do end up buying, and decide to go forward, can you really just let it sit in the box? I know I couldn't. That would be like setting a thick steak in front of a dog and expect them to not eat it...:eek:

10. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think BB will have another offer like this before sept. 24th cause thats when school starts for me.

11. golfnut1996 macrumors newbie

Not sure about that. I suspect it would be after the current offer. To be honest, I think the new MB's will be cool, but there's nothing wrong with the current gen. I'm using one now, and love it. If I didn't have to wait until October due to my company's budget cycle, I'd get a black one now...

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Very true- 15% right off the top. AND be sure to do it within 14 days as well as laptops are one of their exceptions to the 30 day return rule (as I am sure it is at Circuit City and such too to be fair).

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

why do you need the 2 year 0% interest in the first place? just wait till the new ones are out and pay it with debit. by that there won't be any charges/interests on the credit card. seems to me a lot less trouble and no risk. i don't know if best buy will simply take back the macbook. most likely you will be stuck with a best buy store credit. and there is no guarantee that they will have the new macbooks right away. since your money is tied to best buy you can't buy at apple then.