Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mobilevisual, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. mobilevisual macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2009
    So here it is. I have the MBA 2.13. Love it. My daughter is now thinking of getting one. BUT.

    Looks like the MBA is at the end of its cycle. A new model is due shortly (or so I heard). I can give my baby (daughter) my baby (MBA) and wait till the next hotness to arrive and jump on it. Or simply let her take the plunge for the MBA now.

    Don’t want (her or me) to spend $2k for 2-4 months of high performance bragging right. When the new Air arrives, possibly with significant upgrade, I might have the urge to upgrade, again.

    It’s a good problem to have. :)

    Still, tough call. Do I wait for the new Air or get another rev.C for my daughter?
  2. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    I would wait if I were you, but you may have to wait a few months. Has your daughter seen the 13" MBP? They are very nice, but they do weigh significantly more than the MBA. But that would save you quite a bit of money.
  3. mobilevisual thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2009
    She is set on the AIR. Shamelessly I tried to push the MBP on her (lower cost:D), but she's is dead set on the Air. Say "no" to a son is easy (ask my dad), to a daughter, not so much.:)
  4. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    The question is… will any "performance upgrade" really matter enough for you to upgrade (as well as spend the money)? If not, then buy away! If it does matter and you should hand your computer over and wait.

    Or just buy her an older refurbished Rev. B MacBook Air.
  5. mobilevisual thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2009
    Very good chance the new air will have:
    1) better battery life.
    2) more ram.
    3) Faster SSD
    4) Better Screen
    5) Improved CPU/ GPU
    6) under $2k

    If apple were just pick three from above. I'm a happy camper.

    Not trying to predict the new Air, I think that topic was beaten to death by many. But I'm pretty sure the New Air will be nothing less of Amazing. Clearly, they learned their mistakes from Rev A. and quickly made adjustment to B/C.
  6. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2008
    I am on the fence as to what MacBook to buy myself, but since I dont need it RIGHT NOW, I am waiting to see what January brings
  7. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

    Nov 10, 2008
    I'm with Alphaod. Apple product releases are typically annual with an occasional small release for something like a processor speed bump within that cycle. Its one of the things that allows apple to offer such high quality support and products that age so well compared to the commodity PC market.

    So you just have to ask yourself
    a) Would a current (new or refurb) MBA meet all the needs with respect to speed, capacity, and features?
    b) What potential feature in an upcoming release would make a purchase now regrettable?

    Its quite possible spring will be here before the next MBA is released. I find it unlikely that there will be a major redesign but thats only an opinion.

    In the highly probable category we have
    - Processor speed bump
    - SSD capacity and/or performance bump
    - battery life improvement

    In the possible but who knows category we have
    - 4gb RAM
    - Glass trackpad

    Are any of these killer features? For me 4gb or RAM and larger SSD would be, so I'm resisting my urge and staying with my MB, but your answer could easily be different. If I did not have a need for more RAM and storage space I'd buy a current model in a heartbeat because nothing else I could envision makes all that much difference for a machine I'll enjoy for a few years.
  8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Feb 9, 2005
    The good side of the grass.
    Totally understand.;)

    If she could hold off a couple of months I'd wait. Then buy a new one and gift her yours.
  9. gri macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2004
    New York City, aka Big Apple
    Nicely put!! My daughter is only 20 months old,my son 4.5 years and it already applies...

    I would wait. I do. Since about the Air came out...:rolleyes:
  10. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a


    Mar 11, 2009
    under your bed
    you might be waiting a long time, there are far too many uncertainties regarding the new GPU, case design, even processor timing
  11. mobilevisual thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2009
    very sound advises from all. Thank you.

    My daughter is now a proud owner of a slightly used Macbook Air. I will miss her when she goes to college, sure, i'll miss my daughter too.

    I'm weeping and waiting each day for the new Air to arrive. By January, if no news of a redesigned MBA, el Jobso will receive a nasty letter from a very angry dad. Letters will be send repeatedly for every day of wait since November 15th. :mad:
  12. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Wait a minute… she's going off to college? Err… I would have let her wait. Just what I would do. I'm no father of course.'

    But I guess giving her a terrific machine is better than wasting money on a new machine that may be update in the near future.
  13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    again, I would like to point out that I think thing the 13" MBP would be better for her... many an MBA have been stolen from dorm rooms and apartments because they do not have a lock-slot. The MBP does, so she could lock it to her desk and not have to worry about when her roommates have other people over (I won't get into details here, but I doubt they will all be capable of policing their roommates' property). Good luck, and make sure she takes good care of it!

Share This Page