Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fasailmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
hey everyone, ill be buying a laptop tomorrow. I understand that this is a mac forum but i really cant decide. I either buy a base macbook pro 2.26 or this http://bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son...spx?path=638f8a40839e3d45be627de0dc2d7dc0en02

i dont mind using either OS, i listen too online radio,office,5-6 tabs of web browsing simultaneously. Im looking to keep the machine for 1-2 years, and application opening time is a priority, i dont like to when it takes a while for a computer to open word,firefox,msn etc. The wireless display in the sony is a plus, but its not a big deal to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
If you have to have it tomorrow the Sony will be faster than the base 13" MacBook Pro. If you're only keeping it 1-2 years you shouldn't have a problem with lower build quality in the Sony or Windows bit-rot (I know, I know, Windows 7 is supposed to fix all Windows problems...I'll believe it when I see it).

Now if you can wait a little while (maybe a couple weeks?) it's likely the new MacBook Pros will be coming out. No guarantee the base 13" MacBook Pro will be updated at that time but if it is it will probably be as fast as the Sony and my recommendation would be to get the Mac because I think OS X is a better OS.

Fasailmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
i really wish i could wait, but i need a replacement laptop for school. Aghhhh im so confuzzled :eek:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah the base MacBook Pro running Mac OSX Snow Leopard (the OS it comes with) will be able to do all the stuff you want:D I'm assuming this is the base 13" one, which I also have though the RAM is 4GB instead of the standard 2GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.